Postgraduate enquiries (EPS)
+44 (0) 131 451 3729
This is an advanced, specialist course in the rapidly expanding area of renewable energy engineering with a clear Mechanical Engineering focus. The course is aimed at students wishing to develop critical understanding of the significant changes afoot in the energy system due to the development and integration of wind, marine, biomass and solar technologies. The course will enable graduates to develop and implement creative solutions to the problems encountered in renewable energy capture, conversion, storage and management.
Students will gain the knowledge and skills to assess renewable energy resources, design appropriate renewable energy systems, evaluate the performance of these systems and assess the wider impacts of renewable energy development. The course provides introductory courses to fundamental energy science and current energy issues, while the project-led courses focus on the design of renewable energy systems. The course concludes with a research-led dissertation in the summer.
Renewable energy research focuses on six main areas:
- Photovoltaics and Solar Energy
- Wind and Marine Energy
- Renewable Energy Systems
- Minimising CO2 Emissions
- Wind and Marine Energy
The aims of the course are to enable the students to:
- develop detailed knowledge and critical understanding of the core skills in renewable energy resources, converters and systems
- develop and use a significant range of principal and specialist skills, techniques and practices in renewable energy
- be able to apply this knowledge directly to complex applications
- critically review existing practice and develop original and creative solutions to problems within the domain
- communicate and work effectively with peers and academic staff in a variety of tasks, demonstrating appropriate levels of autonomy and responsibility, and
- plan and execute a significant project of research, investigation or development in a specialist area within the renewable energy arena, demonstrating extensive, detailed and critical understanding of that specialism.
- One year (MSc)
- 9 months (Diploma)
Watch videos of the MSc in Renewable Energy Engineering being discussed by:
- Foundations of Energy
- Economics of Renewable Energy
- Renewable Energy Technologies
- Advanced Renewable Energy Engineering
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Demand Management and Energy Storage
- Critical Analysis and Research Preparation
- Masters Dissertation
- Electrical Power Systems
- Heat Transfers and Heat Exchangers
- Computational Fluid Dynamics with Heat Transfer
A first or second class honours degree in a suitable subject with a numerate background. Equivalent overseas qualifications will also be considered.
English language requirements
If your first language is not English, or your first degree was not taught in English, we’ll need to see evidence of your English language ability. The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 6.5 or equivalent. We offer a range of English language courses to help you meet the English language requirement prior to starting your masters course:
- 14 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5 with no more than one skill at 4.5);
- 10 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5 with minimum of 5.0 in all skills);
- 6 weeks English (for IELTS 5.5 with minimum of 5.5 in reading & writing and minimum of 5.0 in speaking & listening)
|UK / EU||£7400||£3700||£925**|
* If you are unsure which residency status category you fall in to, you should complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess your fees.
** Fee per course (module). Refer to the Course Content to see how many courses comprise the full programme.
The fees shown are for one year only and may be subject to an increase each year. Our fees for September 2021 will be available shortly.
Scholarships and bursaries
We aim to encourage well-qualified, ambitious students to study with us and we offer a wide variety of scholarships and bursaries to achieve this. Over £6 million worth of opportunities are available in fee and stipend scholarships, and more than 400 students benefit from this support.
View our full range of postgraduate scholarships.