This is a new two-year MSc in Applied Mathematical Sciences. The first year (Stage 1) is a pre-masters year that will equip you with a solid, theoretical and practical foundation in applied mathematics (6 courses) and includes 2 courses in Research Preparation (English Study Skills). The second year (Stage 2) is the same as our current one-year MSc Programme in Applied Mathematical Sciences which is designed to equip students with the modern, transferrable mathematical and statistical skills to prepare them for careers in industry and research.
Our minimum IELTS entry requirement is 5.5 in all sections. The whole two year programme only requires one visa. We encourage applications from a broad range of technical backgrounds.
For over 40 years Heriot-Watt has been exceptionally strong in Applied Mathematics and we have world-leading researchers in many related areas and very good links with industry.
Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES) 2018/19 Results
The Mathematics Department are incredibly proud to have been awarded a score of 100% in overall student satisfaction with the quality of the course; across all of our specialist Mathematics programmes.
Visit our YouTube channel to see videos from our staff, students and recent graduates.
- Research Preparation in English (1)
- Linear Algebra
- Research Preparation in English (2)
- Numerical Analysis
- Ordinary Differential Equations
Optional courses: Any 2 from
- Applied Mathematics A
- Multivariable Calculus and Real Analysis A
- Vector Analysis
- Probability and Statistics A
Optional courses: Any 1 from
- Multivariable Calculus and Real Analysis B
- Applied Mathematics B
- Complex Analysis
- Numerical Analysis B
- Probability and Statistics B
Composition: 8 courses (5 mandatory & 3 optional)
- Modelling and Tools
- Masters Project and Dissertation
Optional courses: Any 2 from
- Applied Mathematics E
- Mathematical Ecology
- Functional Analysis
- Numerical ODEs
- Pure Mathematics E
- Biologically Inspired Computation
- Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Software Engineering Foundations
- Statistical Methods
Optional courses: Any 3 from
- Applied Linear Algebra
- Mathematical Biology and Medicine
- Partial Differential Equations
- Numerical Analysis (PDEs)
- Pure Mathematics F
- Stochastic Simulation
- Special Topics 2
- Advanced Software Engineering
- Bayesian Inference & Computational Methods
8 courses (3 mandatory & 5 optional) plus project/ dissertation for MSc
8 taught courses (3 mandatory & 5 optional)
For more detailed information
Entry requires a good first degree, of at least UK 2.1 standard or equivalent, containing some maths and/or statistics content.
Please contact the School if you wish to discuss your suitability for the programme in more detail.
English language requirements
Important: If your first language is not English, or your first degree was not taught in English, we’ll need to see evidence of your English language ability.
The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 5.5 in all sections.
- Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
- Fee per course (module). Refer to the Course Content to see how many courses comprise the full programme.
- Overseas includes applications from European Union countries who do not hold Pre-Settled or Settled status in the UK. Read more about the application process for EU nationals.
Additional fees information
Please note that fees are payable for each year of this two year MSc.
Scholarships and bursaries
We aim to encourage well-qualified, ambitious students to study with us and we offer a wide variety of scholarships and bursaries to achieve this. Over £6 million worth of opportunities are available in fee and stipend scholarships, and more than 400 students benefit from this support.
View our full range of postgraduate scholarships.