Guidance for Postgraduate Researchers
Once your examiners have been approved and all the appropriate forms for your initial thesis submission have been approved and you have uploaded your thesis, your thesis will then be sent to the approved internal examiner and external examiner(s).
You will be informed of your viva date by your School. After the viva takes place, the internal examiner and external examiner(s) send their reports to your School's Postgraduate Research Office. After you have submitted your final thesis, these reports are submitted to the Research Degrees Committee and the examiners' decision is considered. You will be notified of your award approval in writing after this meeting.
Forms to be completed by Examiners
- Individual Examiner's Report form (to be completed individually by all examiners in advance of the viva)
- Joint Examiner Report form (to be completed jointly by all examiners after the viva)
- Internal Examiner Declaration form (to be completed by internal examiner before final submission)
- Payment form for External examiners fee Return to School PGR Office for payment after examination
Guidance and other documents for Examiners
- Handbook on Examining for Research Degrees
- Guidelines for Research Oral Examinations – Role of the Internal Examiner
- Internal Examiner's Checklist
- Confidentiality Statement by External Examiner
- Expenses (Guidelines on Expenses / Expense Claim Form)
- UK Quality Code, Chapter B7: External examining (October 2011)