Induction and Enrolment
Induction is the organised programme of welcome and introductory activities you will participate in as a new student joining a particular programme of study. Induction is a mandatory element of starting university and all new students are expected to participate. Over the two or three days of your induction you will have the opportunity to:
- Find out about your programme of study.
- Meet your fellow students, lecturers and find your way around the University.
- Find out from current students what Heriot-Watt is really like and have any of your questions answered about what to expect.
- Find out more about the University's support systems and resources to help you study.
Once you have enrolled, you can access your induction timetable on Canvas, your virtual learning environment.
Once you are enrolled and have access to Heriot-Watt IT systems (usually within 24 hours of enrolment) please access the VLE via the Canvas VLE tile on the Heriot-Watt Student Portal.
- In the Student Portal click on the Canvas VLE tile
- After logging in to Canvas you will be shown your Dashboard, click on the Induction course tile to get started.
- For help using Canvas visit the Canvas Student Information Hub
Enrolment Event - ID Check
You should complete online enrolment before you arrive on campus. Once you arrive on campus you will need to complete your enrolment by showing your photographic ID (passport, driving licence, visa) and you will be issued with your student card.
|Student Campus||Student Residence type||Enrolment Event Venue||Enrolment Event Date & Time|
|Edinburgh||All NEW students||Student Service centre (SSC)||
Monday to Friday, 9.30 to 4pm. Please book an appointment with the SSC through the Appointments tile in your student portal. Appointments are released on Friday afternoon for the following week.
If you have been informed that we have your visa we will arrange to issue your BRP at the same time. EU students please bring your Sharecode. All international and EU students must bring their passport.
|Scottish Borders||All NEW students||3rd Floor, High Mill, Scottish Borders campus||Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm|
|Orkney||All NEW students||Main reception, ground floor, Robert Rendall Building||Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm|