Induction and Enrolment
Induction is the organised programme of welcome and introductory activities you will participate in as a new student joining a particular programme of study. Induction is a mandatory element of starting university and all new students are expected to participate. Over the two or three days of your induction you will have the opportunity to:
- Find out about your programme of study.
- Meet your fellow students, lecturers and find your way around the University.
- Find out from current students what Heriot-Watt is really like and have any of your questions answered about what to expect.
- Find out more about the University's support systems and resources to help you study.
Once you have enrolled, you can access your induction timetable on Canvas, your virtual learning environment.
Once you are enrolled and have access to Heriot-Watt IT systems, please access the VLE via the Canvas VLE tile on the Heriot-Watt Student Portal.
- In the Student Portal click on the Canvas VLE tile
- After logging in to Canvas you will be shown your Dashboard, click on the Induction course tile to get started.
- For help using Canvas visit the Canvas Student Information Hub
Enrolment event - ID check
You should complete online enrolment before you arrive on campus. Once you arrive on campus you will need to complete an ID check in person by showing your photographic ID (passport, driving licence, visa), then you will be issued with your student card.
|Student Campus||Student Residence type||Enrolment Event Venue||Enrolment Event Date & Time|
|Edinburgh||All NEW students||
Student Service centre (out-with dates below)
GRID building - Enrolment Completion event 8-19 January 2024
Please book an appointment via the Appointments tile in myHWU portal first
Monday 8 to Friday 19 January 2024 from 9.30am to 4pm
|Scottish Borders||All NEW students||High Mill, ground Floor||Dates TBC for January 2024 starts|
|Orkney||All NEW students||Robert Rendall Building, Main reception, ground floor||Dates TBC for January 2024 starts|