BSc (Hons) Software Development for Business
Software Development for Business GA programme is designed to provide a solid foundation in computing and the necessary applied skills. It includes the necessary applied skills, object-oriented web programming, writing algorithms and understanding fundamental database programming and management, as well as network security.
An introduction to the programme
In this recorded webinar Dr Santiago Chumbe, programme director, gives an overview of the Software Development for Business course. (Press 'c' on your keyboard to turn YouTube auto-captions on and off.)
This programme helps you develop highly skilled employees in the following areas: Software Development and Testing; Web Development; Database Architecture and Development.
The Software Development for Business Graduate Apprenticeship programme aims to produce BSc (Hons) graduates who:
- have a solid foundation in Computer Science foundations and are proficient in applying programming techniques in diverse applications;
- are able to operate in a team and multidisciplinary contexts;
- have problem-solving skills
- have the ability to develop innovative solutions to society's practical needs;
- have developed professional competencies of software engineers
Key areas of the programme
The primary focus of the Software Development for Business Graduate Apprenticeship programme is on developing the knowledge, understanding and skills outcomes sought by employers.
- Business functions, behaviours, ethics, and courtesies
- Business strategy and management
- Business finance and accounting
- Software development essentials
- Data and algorithms
- Software modelling and analysis
- Software architecture
- Software requirements management
- Software design
- Software verification and testing
- Software development process
- Software development in context
- Software configuration and release management
- Software deployment
- Software maintenance
- Legacy systems
- Software quality
- Data modelling, database development, and data analysis
- Software security
Personal and interpersonal
- Personal attributes
- Professional attributes
- Team working
Software project and delivery management
- Project management methodologies
- Project planning
- Project execution
- Agile project delivery
- Risk assessment and management
Our graduates are specialist, creative, progessional, global citizens. With five campuses, in Edinburgh, Galashiels, Orkney, Dubai and Malaysia, Heriot-Watt is a truly global community. Our partners are already seeing the benefits.
GA provide another avenue for keen and talented employees who don't have the background in computer science to gain this knowledge.
Program Director for GA Software Development for Business Dr. Yun-Heh (Jessica) Chen-Burger explains: "Employers like our graduates' distinctive blend of core skills and specialist knowledge, and their ability to work both individually and in a team. There is a dedicated team of academics in the Computer Science for the Graduate Apprenticeships program.
"The Software Development for Business program is carefully designed to provide intensive learning support during the first two years while allowing more flexibilities and freedom for apprentices to design and lead their own learning in the latter two years. To support GA's work based learning, blended on-line learning is one of our main approaches.
"The Computer Science in the Heriot-Watt University have unique, rich expertise in ICBL (Institute for Computer Based Learning) related to Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) in general and ICBL has been contributing to research and on-line learning projects since 2006 and beyond."
Heriot-Watt University is consistently ranked at a high level across a number of key university league tables: