Skip to section
- Delivery type
- Graduate Apprenticeship
- 4 years
- Degree Qualification
- BSc (Hons)
The graduate apprenticeship programme is open to new or existing employees in Scotland of all ages and consists of 20% academic learning and 80% work-based learning.
This programme helps you develop highly skilled employees in:
- Software development and testing
- Web development
- Database architecture and development.
The Software Development for Business graduate apprenticeship programme aims to produce BSc (Hons) graduates who:
- have a solid foundation in computer science and are proficient in applying programming techniques in diverse application
- are able to operate in a team and multidisciplinary contexts
- have problem-solving skills
- have the ability to develop innovative solutions to society's practical needs
- have developed professional competencies of software engineers.
Key areas of the programme
The primary focus of the Software Development for Business graduate apprenticeship programme is on developing the knowledge, understanding and skills outcomes sought by employers.
- Business functions, behaviours, ethics, and courtesies
- Business strategy and management
- Business finance and accounting
- Data structures and algorithms
- Object-oriented programming
- Design and development of interactive systems
- Web applications and mobile apps
- Database management systems
- Software development life cycle
- Software design, modelling and analysis
- Software architectures and design patterns
- Software verification, testing and quality assurance
- Cloud-native applications
- Data mining, modelling and data analysis
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Network and software security
Personal and interpersonal
- Personal attributes
- Professional attributes
- Team working
Software project and delivery management
- Project management methodologies
- Project planning
- Project execution
- Agile project delivery
- Risk assessment and management
- Software project planning and management
- Software configuration and release management
Ranking (Computer Science, The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023)
Ranked 5th in Scotland and Top 30 in the UK for Computer Science by The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023.
Ranking (Computer Science and Information Systems, Guardian Good University Guide 2023)
Ranked 3rd in Scotland and 9th in the UK for Computer Science and Information Systems by the Guardian Good University Guide 2023.
Graduate apprenticeship success stories
Read our graduate apprenticeship partners' success stories who are already seeing the benefits.
Computer Science facilities
Computer Science students can access facilities including specialist teaching labs, the Edinburgh Centre for Robotics' Robotics Laboratory, and parallel and high performance computing platforms
Computer Science Society
The Computer Science Society is a student run community active across Edinburgh, Dubai and Malaysia. The society gives students a platform to discuss everything computer science and attend regular social events with like-minded individuals.
Clubs and activities
At Heriot-Watt we have an extensive programme of over 90 sports clubs and societies to get involved in. You can try as many as you like or start one of your own!
Edinburgh Campus facilities
At Heriot-Watt University, we offer a wide range of services to help you deal with all aspects of your life with us, whether these be academic, personal, technical, financial or just plain fun!
Health and wellbeing
Student Wellbeing Services aim to provide a range of support, guidance, activities and advice to help students to be their best, and get the most from their university experience. From counselling to coaching we'll sure you are fully supported.
Heriot-Watt Student Union
There's more to university life than simply getting your degree, and Heriot-Watt University Student Union is all about helping you to have the best possible experience while you study here.
Living in Edinburgh
Historic and beautiful, a cultural capital that fuels the senses whether you love the arts or nature, nightlife or study life, Edinburgh is stimulating and inspirational and never, ever boring.
Oriam, Scotland Sports Performance Centre offers state-of-the-art sports facilities, for all levels of sport and ability
Employers around the world actively seek out our graduates because they are work-ready. All our degrees are career-focused and relevant to the needs of industry. Around 95% of our students are in employment or further study within six months of graduating.
Register your interest in Graduate Apprenticeships
Places are in high demand, and offered on a first come, first served basis to qualified employees – so please register your interest right away.
If you are an employer, please complete the contact form to our GA team and we will contact you to discuss a detailed plan for your company.
If you are already working, ask your manager to get in touch with us by completing this web form.
If you are looking for an employer who could employ you and put you forward for the GA programme, you can find vacancies with current partner companies.