- UCAS code
- Up to 4 years
- Delivery type
Heriot-Watt was ranked 7th in the UK for Business Management in the National Student Survey 2018. This industry-focused degree puts specialist business theory through a real world filter to develop graduates who can add real value to any organisation.
Social Sciences Admissions
+44 (0)131 451 3284
Business Management at Heriot-Watt is ranked 3rd in Scotland and top 10 in the UK in the Guardian University League Tables 2018. We offer six flexible undergraduate pathways in International Business Management which cover our core areas of expertise with a strong industry focus.
- International Business Management MA (Hons)
- International Business Management with Business Law MA (Hons)
- International Business Management with Enterprise MA (Hons)
- International Business Management with Human Resource Management MA (Hons)
- International Business Management with Marketing MA (Hons)
- International Business Management with Year Abroad MA (Hons)
With each of these specialisms we aim to provide our students with the skills and expertise they need to thrive in the positions, organisations and industries of the future by reflecting the most current thinking and practices of successful organisations and their leaders.
To achieve this we take an innovative approach to learning and teaching which puts cutting-edge business theory through a ‘real-world filter’. This sees regular industry speakers and case-study driven assignments bring our teaching in business management to life.
Heriot-Watt University’s unique Go Global project is fully available to those studying our Undergraduate International Business Management degrees, meaning our students can study one or more semesters of their degree across our three main campuses in Edinburgh, Dubai and Malaysia. The chance to travel, study and gain experience in three different countries with very different cultures helps prepare our students to become global citizens and stand out in recruitment markets following graduation.
Our MA in International Business Management with a Year Abroad offers students further scope to gain global experience as they study the entirety of Year 3 at one of partner institutions in one of our partner institutions worldwide.
Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) for the purpose of gaining CIM qualifications through the Multi-Award Pathway (MAP).
In Year 1 students on all International Business Management degrees follow a common course which provides a strong grounding in the principles of modern business management. Year 2 introduces the more functional areas of business and management including Marketing, HRM and Operations Management. In Years 3 and 4 students choose from a range of specialist Business Management courses which allow them to tailor their degree to meet their particular career needs.Detailed course guide
- Management in a Global Context
- Introductory Economics
- Introduction to Accounting
- Enterprise and its Business Environment
- Business Skills - Professional Development Track
- The Economy
- Introduction to Finance
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Human Resource Management
- Commercial Law
- Intercultural Issues in Business Management
- Operations Management
- Management Theories in Practice - Professional Development Track
- Option or elective
Optional courses available include Business Entities, Organisational Behaviour, Marketing Perspectives, Enterprise Concepts & Issues.
- Business Research Methods
- Option or Elective
- Strategic Management
- Business Analysis and Consulting - Professional Development Track
- Option or Elective
Optional courses available include Business Venturing, Project Management, Employment Law, Employment Relations, Consumer Behaviour, Marketing Communications.
There may be an opportunity to undertake an internship with a relevant firm or organisation in the summer following third year. These internships are allocated on a competitive basis.
- International Business
- Global Trends and Ethics - Professional Development Track
- Option or Elective
Across Both Semesters
Optional courses available in the fourth year include Business Ethics; The Contemporary Workforce; Logistics; International Business Law; Diversity Management; Management Science; Digital Marketing; and Company Law.
Work and study
This is what our MA (Hons) International Business Management students are doing six months after graduating:
- 77% are working
- 8% are studying
- 3% are working and studying.
- 76% of those working are in a professional/managerial position six months after graduating.
- The average salary of students six months after graduating: £24000
- The average UK salary of students six months after graduating from a similar course: £20000
These are the most common jobs students go into six months after graduating:
- Business and public service associate professionals
- Business, research and administrative professionals
- Managers, directors and senior officials
- Administrative occupations
- Sales occupations
- Information technology and telecommunications professionals
- Elementary occupations
- Highers AAAB (over two sittings)
- A-Levels BBB
- Int. Baccalaureate 29 points
- HNC B in a graded unit
- Advanced Highers BB in relevant subjects, plus AAAB at Higher.
- A-Levels ABB in relevant subjects.
- Int. Baccalaureate 34 points
- HNC HNC Business. A in graded unit.
- HND HND Business. BB in graded units.
- HND HND Business. AA in graded units.
- Intermediate 2 / National 5 / GCSE English and Mathematics are required for all Business Management courses.
- BTEC Relevant BTEC qualifications are accepted; please contact Admissions Tutor for further details.
|Status*||Scotland / EU**||England / Northern Ireland / Wales***||International|
|Fee||Paid by SAAS||£9,250||£14,640|
* Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
** European Union countries (not including England, Northern Ireland or Wales).
*** 'Rest of the UK' (RUK) students entering at Level 1 receive a fee waiver of one year's tuition fee. Normally this will be the final year, or a year during which students study abroad (either at a partnership institution, or at one of Heriot-Watt's overseas campuses).
Scholarships and bursaries
Bursaries for students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales starting undergraduate degree courses in 2018
In addition to government maintenance loans and grants towards the costs of fees and living costs, we are offering generous financial support to attract and support eligible students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales:
View our full range of undergraduate scholarships.