- Full-time, Part-time, Per course
- Course type
- Entry date
Heriot Watt University’s MSc in International Marketing with Consumer Psychology delivers a strong understanding of psychological approaches and interventions in consumer-led marketing strategies.
Dr Kathryn Waite
+44 (0)131 451 3284
This is a unique Masters degree in International Marketing with Consumer Psychology from the Edinburgh Business School at Heriot-Watt University. It delivers a strong understanding of psychological approaches and interventions in consumer-led marketing strategies.
This is a Specialist MSc
This is a specialist MSc degree which will develop your existing awareness of marketing processes to provide detailed insight into how consumers think, feel and act.
Led by academics at the Edinburgh Business School, this Specialist MSc gives those who have worked in the field or studied a similar subject previously, the chance to expand, refine and enhance their knowledge.
The Edinburgh Business School approach
This 1-year Masters programme focuses almost entirely on the area of International Marketing and Consumer Psychology. It blends cutting-edge academic thinking with best practice from industry to give graduates and professionals the opportunity to advance with a highly employable skillset.
The programme combines a core of five international marketing management courses with two specialist consumer psychology courses.
- Contemporary Consumers - examines the motivations and perspectives of consumers in different international locations.
- International Strategic Marketing - identifies choices in marketing strategies for local and international brands, focusing on operating a global business.
- Marketing Logistics - explains how to gain competitive advantage in the international market place by ensuring that the right products reach the right people at the right time.
- Branding and Communications - considers the power of brands and helps you to master the key principles of brand management by learning how integrated marketing communications creates a valuable brand with strong, effective messaging.
- Research Philosophy and Practice – provides training in a range of research skills that prepares you for the dissertation project and also provides the foundation for roles in market insight and business consultancy.
Specialist Consumer Psychology courses
The specialist courses on our International Marketing with Consumer Psychology include:
- Psychology for Marketing introduces foundational psychological theory an applies these approaches to different stages of the consumption process
- Introduction to Human Factors identifies major issues in consumer ergonomics and applies this understanding to a retail marketing context
Flexibility through optional courses
In addition to the five core courses in International Marketing and the two specialist courses in Consumer Psychology, this programme gives you the opportunity to select an optional course, customising your studies to meet the needs of your future career ambitions. You can select one from:
- Managing Diversity
- Digital Marketing
- Tourism Management
- Sustainable Marketing
Over the summer the master’s dissertation enables you to deepen your knowledge of international marketing through research into a topic of your choice. You will gather and analyse data from companies or consumers within a consumer psychology setting which directly relates to your ambitions and interests.
Previous students on International Marketing with Consumer Psychology have conducted dissertations on topics such as:
- Automobiles with sustainable drive technologies: the influence of consumers’ purchase intentions on their willingness to pay
- A Theory on why memes are internationally successful with millennials in the UK and Germany and how they affect the emotional status of millennials
- Consumer Perception of CSR: A Cross-cultural Analysis in Italy and the UK
Management competencies and skills for the workplace
Your international marketing competencies will be developed through case-study learning, direct interaction with industry and industry-focused assessments. Innovative group-based and individual coursework will challenge you to translate theory into marketing solutions and demonstrate skills in time management, team leadership, information management and verbal, written and digital communications. This year’s students gained experience in:
- Producing a Vlog to communicate key messages in an authentic way and then evaluate how to repurpose content into a podcast
- Designing and filming a brand advertisement
- Evaluating the impact of the retail environment consumer decision making
These sought-after, transferrable skills you gain through this programme will position you as an attractive candidate for employers. Our recent graduates have gone on to launch international marketing management careers working for prestigious brands, including:
- Charley’s: Marketing Coordinator
- IPG Mediabrands: SEO Executive
- BNP Paribas: Intern Recruiting and Employer Branding
- Russell & Bromley: Online editor
- Reprise Media: Account Executive
Interact with business leaders
Heriot-Watt’s MSc in International Marketing with Consumer Psychology benefits from strong links with industry and each year we welcome leading marketing practitioners to share experiences and insights with our students through inspirational and informative guest lectures.
These guest lectures will give you the opportunity to interact with business experts and discuss practical solutions to real problems whilst receiving guidance about careers in international marketing. Recent guest speakers have represented a range of multinational companies and leading advertising agencies, including:
- Baxters Food Group - Cara Chambers, Director of Marketing
- Skyscanner - Murat Ozkok-Ohr, Growth and Communications Manager
- The Leith Agency - Caitlin MacKie, Strategic Planner
- Yard Digital Agency - Geoff Kennedy, Account Director
- Backpage Press – Martin Greig and Neil White - Directors
International internship opportunity
This programme offers you the exclusive opportunity to apply for an competitive four-week international internship at the Toronto HQ and New York offices of Array Marketing. Array Marketing has over 35 years’ experience in the retail sector, producing innovative visual merchandising and point-of-purchase displays for leading brands such as L’Oréal, Urban Decay, MAC, Sephora, ULTA, Estee Lauder and Prada. The internship provides experience across key operational areas including project management, digital marketing, merchandising, store fittings, and understanding the luxury consumer. 2016’s successful candidate was offered a permanent role with Array Marketing after presenting innovative business development ideas based on her dissertation research.
Diverse learning experience: a wealth of business and cultural perspectives
Studying on this programme will enable you to work alongside highly-motivated students from across the world who have chosen to progress their marketing knowledge at Heriot-Watt School of Social Sciences. This will develop your first-hand experience of working in international teams and providing you with crucial insights into a diverse range of markets and consumer perspectives, all of which are vital in international marketing. By sharing courses with students from other management disciplines you will also experience working alongside those with different business perspectives, a true-to-life insight into the multi-functional nature of international marketing management. Our thriving calendar of social events kicks off in week one with a bespoke induction event. Our campus-based location will help you to balance your academic experiences with a rewarding social life, providing many opportunities to develop an international network of friends and contacts from our friendly, global community.
- MSc: 12 months (full-time), 24 months (part-time)
- PG Diploma: 9 months (full-time), 21 months (part-time)
Heriot-Watt University has joined forces with the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) to give students the opportunity to gain professional qualifications through CIM Graduate Gateway. CIM qualifications are highly sought after by employers, and map alongside our own degrees which ensures we are equipping students with the best opportunities for a successful marketing career.
Some of our Postgraduate Taught Masters Programmes are eligible for Inter-Campus Transfer. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information