BSc (Hons) Statistical Data Science
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
Statistical Data Science is at the core of modern data analytics that turn data into intelligence to inform decision-making and solve challenging problems. Applications range from economics and medicine, to social and environmental sciences. This programme covers theoretical and applied elements of modern statistics, and provides training and practical experience in modelling, analyzing and interpreting real data required in the economy, industry and research. The early years of the programme cover basic mathematics, computing, probability and statistics. The final years focus on advanced specialist topics in statistical modelling, data science, machine learning, probability and stochastic processes.
Calculus; Introduction to Statistical Science, and optional courses including Logic and Proof, Discrete Mathematics and Software Development.
Probability and Statistics; Linear Algebra; Actuarial and Financial Mathematics; Real Analysis, and optional courses including Databases and Software Design.
Statistical Models; Stochastic Processes; Bayesian Statistics; Survival Models; Statistical Methods for Social Sciences, and optional courses including Artificial Intelligence and Database Management Systems.
Time Series; Optimisation; Simulation and Statistical Computing; Further Statistical Methods; Foundations of Statistical Machine Learning; Dissertation and options from a wide choice, including Special Topics in Statistical Modelling (e.g. in Epidemiology, Ecology or Finance), Statistical Computing and Data Visualisation Analytics.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level - ABB
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards - 75% with 75% in Mathematics
- American High School Diploma/SABIS - 70% (70% in Math) + SAT I – 1000 (500 English and 600 Math)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 26 points (3 HL – including Maths (HL6), and 3 SL)
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent - 80% with 80% in Math
- Foundation year - Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Engineering) with a CCCC.
- Compulsory subject to include English and Mathematics.
Second year entry (September Intake Only)
- GCE A-Levels – AAB, including A in Mathematics
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 28 points (3 HL – including Maths (HL6) and 3 SL)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards - Overall 85%, including 85% in Maths
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Compulsory subjects to include Mathematics and English.
English language requirements
As our degrees are taught and assessed in English, applicants must be able to prove their level of English language ability. To know more, please refer to our English language requirements.
Fees and funding
- AED 70412 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.