BSc (Hons) Computer Science
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
Our four year BSc Computer Science Honours degree is oriented to constructing robust and useable systems. We aim to teach people not just how to deploy cutting edge tools and techniques, but how to build the next generation of software tools that other system constructors will use. This programme aims to give a well integrated balance of theoretical underpinnings and practical experience, strongly informed by the research expertise of our academic staff.
Why study Computer Science at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- Unlike other universities, ours offers a technical programme that equips students with the right skills for programming and web development.
- We carry out extensive research in computer science subjects, which feeds into our teaching programmes, keeping them relevant and up to date.
- A large percentage of our graduates get good jobs following graduation.
- We have transfer options to our Edinburgh Campus, allowing students to complete their studies in the UK.
- Students who wish to remain in Dubai after graduating with an Honours degree can extend their studies by entering one of our postgraduate Master’s programmes
The Computer Science Department has been delivering BCS-accredited programmes for more than 30 years.
Our Computer Science degree is accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Engineering Council, fully meeting the academic requirement for Incorporated Engineer and partially meeting the academic requirement for a Chartered Engineer.
It’s also accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Science Council for the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Scientist.
Read more about the UAE Federal Accreditation.
The programme has a diverse list of offerings. It covers almost everything a young naïve programmer would want to discover, from theoretical topics to real-world applications.
We use theory and practice to help you to develop basic programming skills and learn how to create mobile apps. Other courses on basic computing, mathematical and study skills cover topics including web design and databases.
Students continue with courses in Interaction Design, Web Programming, Data Structures and Algorithms, Software Design, Database Management Systems and Programming Languages.
In third year students study Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Intelligent Agents, Operating Systems, Professional Development and Language Processors as well as more formal aspects of computing. In addition, students work on a group programming project.
Students work on a major individual project and also carry out studies in advanced topics such as Big Data Management, Industrial Programming, Mobile Communications and Programming, Computer Games Programming and Network Applications.
Prospects in industry, commerce and the public sector are excellent. The growth in network services on computers in the office and home, and on mobile handheld devices, has increased the demand for experts who can design, implement and manage systems combining rich computational, communication and multimedia facilities for non-specialist users.
Our entry criteria are listed below. Please note however, that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level - CCC (or AABB at AS-Level)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards - 65%.
- American High School Diploma/SABIS - 70% + SAT I – 1000 (500 English and 500 Math)
- Tawjihiyya - 80% or Elite/Advance - 75% + EmSAT (English 1400 and 1200 Maths)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 24 points (3 HL – including Maths, and 3 SL)
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - MMM
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent - 70%
- Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) - Grades of 5 in every subject + IELTS 6.0
- French Baccalaureate - 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Lebanese Baccalaureate - 80% or 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Foundation year - Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Engineering) with a CCCC.
- Compulsory subjects to include English and Mathematics.
Second year entry (September Intake Only)
- GCE A-Levels - BBC
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 27 points (3 HL – including Maths and Computer Science, and 3 SL)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards - Overall 85%
- American High School/SABIS - 70% + 3 AP at grade 4 (Including Maths and Computer Science) or Minimum 3 SAT Subjects (SAT II) 500 each, Including Maths and Computer Science.
- Higher National Diploma (HND) - PPP
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - DDD
- FBISE Grade 12 or equivalent - 85%
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Compulsory subjects to include Computer Science, Mathematics and English.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
As our degrees are taught and assessed in English, applicants must be able to prove their level of English language ability. To know more, please refer to our English language requirements.
Fees and funding
- AED 70412 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.