BSc (Hons) Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
Our four year BSc Computer Science Honours degree with a specialism in Artificial Intelligence is oriented to providing computer science students with the latest techniques in Artificial Intelligence. We aim to teach people not just how to deploy cutting edge tools and techniques, but how to build the next generation of software tools that others will use. This programme aims to give a well-integrated balance of theoretical underpinnings and practical experience, strongly informed by the research expertise of our academic staff.
Read more about the UAE Federal Accreditation.
Our Computer Science degree is accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Engineering Council, fully meeting the academic requirement for Incorporated Engineer and partially meeting the academic requirement for a Chartered Engineer.
It's also accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Science Council for the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Scientist.
You will cover software development, an introduction to computer systems, web design and databases. In addition you will learn how to create apps for mobile devices.
You will continue with data structures and algorithms, Interaction Design, looking at various programming languages, databases, web programming, discrete mathematics and software design. In addition you will learn how to program for hardware devices such as a raspberry pi using assembly.
You will study topics such as artificial intelligence, data communications, networking, operating systems as well as more formal aspects of computing. You will also undertake a group project that spans the whole year of study.
You will study advanced topics such as Data Mining , Machine Learning, Intelligent Robots and Biologically Inspired Computation. In addition you will also undertake a major individual project in Artificial Intelligence.
More in-depth information on the content of the courses listed above, how they are assessed and the learning outcomes can be accessed via the detailed course guide.
The market for graduates having artificial intelligence skills must grow with the increasing demands from companies, public sector organisations and research institutions for employees with skills in specialist areas with clear applications in industry - including data mining, machine learning, and pattern recognition.
We envisage graduates from this BSc programme getting jobs with software houses, IT companies, research and development divisions of companies, financial services organisations, defence contractors or government IT departments and as researchers or research students within universities.
Dubai is diversifying away from an oil economy towards the emerging knowledge economy, and a BSc in Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence) is just the kind of specialist IT education provision that Dubai city planners are looking for to provide the next generation of knowledge workers here.
Our entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level - CCC (or AABB at AS-Level)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards - 65%.
- American High School Diploma/SABIS - 70% + SAT I – 1000 (500 English and 500 Math)
- Tawjihiyya - 80% or Elite/Advance - 75% + EmSAT (English 1400 and 1200 Maths)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 24 points (3 HL – including Maths, and 3 SL)
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - MMM
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent - 70%
- Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) - Grades of 5 in every subject + IELTS 6.0
- French Baccalaureate - 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Lebanese Baccalaureate - 80% or 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Foundation year - Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Engineering) with a CCCC.
- Compulsory subjects to include English and Maths.
Second year entry (September Intake Only)
- GCE A-Levels - BBC
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 27 points (3 HL – including Maths and Computer Science, and 3 SL)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards - Overall 85%
- American High School/SABIS - 70% + 3 AP at grade 4 (Including Maths and Computer Science) or Minimum 3 SAT Subjects (SAT II) 500 each, Including Maths and Computer Science.
- Higher National Diploma (HND) - PPP
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - DDD
- FBISE Grade 12 or equivalent - 85%
- Compulsory subjects to include Mathematics, Computer Science, and English.
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
As our degrees are taught and assessed in English, applicants must be able to prove their level of English language ability. To know more, please refer to our English language requirements.
Fees and funding
- AED 70412 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.