MEng Software Engineering
- UCAS code
- 5 years
- Delivery type
The five year MEng Software Engineering degree is an integrated Masters course, which augments the first three years of the BSc Computer Science with the professional skills necessary for constructing robust, secure systems. Students spend the start of the fifth year on a paid industrial placement. Organisations that recent students have been placed with include Skyscanner, Leonardo, Cadence, BlackRock and Satalia. Many of our students go on to secure an offer of employment from their placement employer.
Teaching excellence and student satisfaction
'Software Engineering' at Heriot-Watt is ranked 1st in Scotland and joint 1st in the UK for overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2018. 100% of students* were satisfied overall with their course.
*Responses from full-time degree students.
Links with industry
We have very strong links with the computing industry, with representatives of more than 30 companies attending our Industrial Advisory Board. Much of our research is in collaboration with leading computing enterprises and students really value our research-led teaching by our enthusiastic staff.
Student Equipment Fund
Our Student Equipment Fund is an initiative to support students in purchasing technology (either in hardware, data or software) to explore the usage of and code development for new platforms, as part of a taught course or as a personal project. Recent purchases include Parrot AR.Drone 2.0s, Oculus Rifts and Raspberry Pi 2s.
Global College pathway for this degree
If you do not meet the entry requirements for this degree, have a look at Heriot-Watt Global College, where you can follow an accelerated pathway which will get you onto the second year of this degree.
Accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional.
Accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of fully meeting the further learning academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional.
Accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
Accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Science Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Scientist.
This course is currently only delivered at our Edinburgh Campus and there are no current opportunities to study at exchange partner institutions.
However, other Go Global opportunities may be available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
You will study three courses on programming in Java, interactive systems, web design and databases, computer systems and logic and proof.
You will study interaction design, web programming, data structures and algorithms, programming languages, software design, database management systems, hardware-software interface and discrete mathematics.
You will study software engineering, data communications and networking, artificial intelligence and intelligent agents, operating systems and concurrency, language processors, professional development, theory of computing and programming language semantics. You will also take part in a major group project with an industrial orientation.
As well as advanced topics, you will also undertake professional and industial studies courses. A major individual project will also be carried out.
Starting at the end of Level 4, you will undertake an industrial placement. You will also take further advanced topics in software engineering.
More in-depth information on the content of the courses listed above, how they are assessed and the learning outcomes can be accessed via our current student portal.
Discover Uni course data
Discover Uni provides data on each university's degree courses across a range of measures including student satisfaction, graduate jobs and salaries.
Work and study
This is what our MEng Software Engineering students are doing 15 months after graduating:
- 75% are working
- 10% are studying
- 5% are working and studying.
- The average salary of students 15 months after graduating: £27500
- The average UK salary of students 15 months after graduating from a similar course: £26000
These are the most common high skilled jobs students go into 15 months after graduating:
- Information Technology professionals
Standard entry requirements
- Highers AAAB (including Mathematics at B)
- A-Levels BBC – ABB (including Mathematics at B)
- Int. Baccalaureate 28 points (with Mathematics at Higher Level 5)
- BTEC DDM (including sufficient Mathematics)
- HNC B in graded unit (including sufficient Mathematics)
Minimum entry requirements*
- Highers BBBC (including Mathematics at B)
- A-Levels BCC (including Mathematics at B)
* Minimum: under our Fair Access Policy, we will relax our standard entry requirements for some Scottish students depending on their circumstances. Our minimum requirements will apply if you:
- live in an area within the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation lowest 20% (SIMD20), or
- are care experienced.
We can also make exceptions for some Scottish students with grades above minimum but below standard. Read more about our Minimum and standard entry requirements
- Advanced Highers BBB (including Mathematics and Computing plus excellent Highers)
- A-Levels ABB (including Mathematics and Computing)
- Int. Baccalaureate 30 points (with Mathematics and Computing at Higher Level 6)
- HNC A in graded unit (including sufficient Mathematics and Computing)
- HND AB in graded units (including sufficient Mathematics and Computing)
- BTEC DDM (including sufficient Mathematics and Computing)
- Global College Successful completion of Bachelors Degree Accelerator Foundation - Mathematical and Computer Science
Those entering at Year 2 are expected to be proficient in a high-level programming language; Java is our preference.
- For all years, applications are welcomed from holders of non-school qualifications, mature candidates and overseas students.
- If you do not see your qualifications here please contact us at email@example.com
- Please check that you meet our University-wide National 5/GCSE (or equivalent) English and Maths requirements.
- Inter-campus transfer As the first three years of MEng Software Engineering are also taught at our Dubai Campus, you will have the opportunity to transfer there for one semester or for one academic year, subject to satisfactory academic progress.
- To find out about the difference between the 3 and 4 year honours courses, please watch our video to help you decide which route is best for your qualifications and experience so far.
English language requirements
- If English is not your first language, you have to show that your English is good enough to succeed on your course. Please see our English language requirements.
|Status*||Scotland||England / Wales / N Ireland / Rep of Ireland||International**|
|Fee||Paid by SAAS||£9,250||£22,264|
* Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
** 'International' includes applicants from European Union countries who do not hold Pre-Settled or Settled status in UK. (This does not include students from the Republic of Ireland - see above). Read more about the application process for EU nationals.
You may incur additional costs in the course of your studies at Heriot-Watt over and above tuition fees in an academic year. Depending on your programme of study, these may include: protective equipment, field trips, professional memberships, studio fees, required course texts or other study resources.
Scholarships and bursaries
Bursaries for students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales
In addition to government loans and grants towards the costs of fees and living costs, we are offering generous financial support to attract and support eligible undergraduate students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales:
- Heriot-Watt University Bursary (up to £3,100 per year)
View our full range of undergraduate scholarships.