Get Ready for Success at HWU
What is Get Ready for Success?
Get Ready for Success is an exciting opportunity for students to get a head start at university. Many students find the move to university challenging, and Get Ready for Success can help to make the transition easier by allowing you to find out about the University in advance. Participation is free and Get Ready for Success runs over three days at the Edinburgh Campus: Wednesday 31 August to Friday 2 September 2022, in the week before Welcome Week: 9 to 15 September 2022.
I found the structure of each day helpful as it meant I had time to think of any questions between sessions and if I didn't have the courage to ask during a session, I could always ask at the 'Your Questions Answered' at the end of the day.
Very helpful program and a warm welcome to new students to help become more confident before starting their induction.
Over the three days you will have the opportunity to:
- Meet and talk to current students and find out from them what university is really like.
- Develop and put into practice some of the academic skills that are essential for success in your degree.
- Find out about some of the resources (IT, Library, myHWU Student Portal etc.) that you will need for university.
- Find out some essential tips for survival and making the most of your time at university including finding your way around, managing your time and money and using the Careers Service.
Who can sign up?
Heriot-Watt University is committed to widening participation in higher education and offering the opportunity for university study to students from a diverse range of backgrounds who have the potential to succeed. Get Ready for Success is open to anyone from the groups listed below who will be starting as an undergraduate student at Heriot-Watt:
- Students from the 40% most deprived neighbourhoods in Scotland as defined by the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation (SIMD).
- Students from schools with comparatively low rates of progression to higher education.
- Students joining year 2 or 3 of a degree after completing an HNC or HND at a Scottish college.
- Mature students who have completed a SWAP Access course.
- Students who have formerly been looked after and accommodated in local authority care including foster care.
- Anyone who cares, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction cannot cope without their support.
- Anyone who no longer has the support of their family or any contact with them, because of a breakdown in their relationship. This might mean your biological, step or adoptive parents or wider family members who have been responsible for supporting you in the past.
- Students who are former UK armed forces personnel, current UK armed forces reservists or who have a parent/carer who is a current or former member of the UK armed forces.
- Participants in the Transitions Event on Monday 30 and Tuesday 31 August 2021.
If you are not in one of the groups above but think you might benefit from Get Ready for Success then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Where attending the Get Ready for Success may cause students particular financial difficulties assistance with travel and/or childcare costs can be offered. Please email email@example.com for further information.
Accommodation during Get Ready for Success
If you would like accommodation during Get Ready for Success please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Registering for a place at Get Ready for Success at HWU
Register for Get Ready For Success 2022 using the online registration form.
What students said about previous Get Ready for Success programmes
"I found this really useful and informative, the staff and students were great, really helpful, patient and organised! Great start to my first year of University, although I will need more practice with the technology...but that's all part of being a responsible learner! I really enjoyed being part of the group discussion on the ideal student!"
"Thank you for organising these days for us, it has been a massive help and has eased my nerves about rejoining higher education during a pandemic."
“It was very useful in getting to know the University and what it would be like.”
"My experience of Get Ready for Success at Heriot-Watt University was an altogether positive one. It not only eased any nerves I had prior to starting at the University, but also gave me a better insight as to what I should expect during the length of my studies. I'd recommend new students, whether first-year or direct entrants, to seize upon this opportunity to get a head start in their time at Heriot-Watt."
"A resounding thank you. This event has massively helped my confidence and the link between staff, student helpers and advisors were brilliant. A very enjoyable and useful experience!"
“Great idea! Loved my time here! Thank you!!!"
"[What I found useful was] talking to current students about life at university and their tips and advice for ‘survival'.
“Meeting some new people [and] talking to the student helpers finding out about their experience…was really helpful.”
“Thank you. I thought it was a great opportunity for me. I was happy about the programme.”
“It was great. Glad I signed up for it.”
“Thought it was brilliant.”
“Everyone was very nice and welcoming!”
“I was scared of failing – now I know that if I put in the effort, the Uni will help me to achieve!”
“Fantastic event, so helpful 10/10”
“…making friends prior to Welcome Week is really good.”
Watch this short video to see Moriah, a new entrant to Heriot-Watt in September 2014, explain what she got out of Get Ready for Success 2014.