14. The Lime Avenue and Pinetum
The Lime Trees
The Lime trees were planted in 1882, at which time this was the main entrance to the house, rather than the south entrance. The sycamores pre-date the limes. A West Avenue may have been replanted at the same time, although this was removed in 20th century.
A collection of exotic conifers was a popular feature of Victorian plant collectors' gardens. This was one of the neglected over-mature woodlands that the University inherited, where the majority of original conifers were blown down in the 1968 gales. The oldest trees that remain are over 200 years old. A collection of new exotic conifers is now developing since a relationship between the University and The Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh was established in 2019.