MA (Hons) Business Management
As the modern business world becomes increasingly dynamic, understanding the way businesses and organisations operate and how they make key decisions, is crucial.
In the Business Management GA programme our objective is to develop the general management and business knowledge and skills of participants in the context of contemporary private and public sector organisations, large and small.
Employees examine organisations, understand workings and relate theories to actual business practices. Throughout the programme we develop the management and business skills necessary for a professional organisation.
The Business Management Graduate Apprenticeship is designed to produce graduates with the following high level skills and knowledge attributes:
- An understanding of business/organisations and their key functions and processes
- An understanding and consideration of environment, organisational strategy, markets and processes – and how these work together.
- Knowledge and understanding of organisational strategy and models and how to apply them.
- Understanding of approaches to project management and the ability to apply them
- Knowledge of financial models and how to use them to analyse performance
- Understanding of how technology can enhance business
- Able to communicate effectively using a range of media
- Knowledge and understanding of leadership styles and organisational culture
- Knowledge and understanding of how to manage people and teams effectively
- Understands how to build effective relationships internally and externally
- Able to manage self effectively, use emotional intelligence and core values
- Knowledge and understanding of how to plan effectively and undertake personal development
- Able to make effective decisions and solve problems based on research
Key areas of the programme
The primary focus of the Business Management Graduate Apprenticeship programme is on developing the knowledge, understanding and skills outcomes sought by employers.
- Organisational strategy and operations
- Project management
- Business finance
- Digital business and new technologies
- Leading People
- Managing People
- Developing collaborative relationships
- Awareness of self and others
- Management of self
- Decision making
Why Heriot-Watt University?
Our graduates are specialist, creative, progessional, global citizens. Our Graduate Apprenticeship programmes are taught by respected and experienced academics and business professionals.
With five campuses, in Edinburgh, Galashiels, Orkney, Dubai and Malaysia, Heriot-Watt is a truly global community.
GA students in our flagship Business Management programme work in forward-thinking organisations that recognise the future of higher education and understand the value of growing management talent from within, rather than acquiring talent from outside.
Heriot-Watt University is consistently ranked at a high level across a number of key university league tables.