Skip to section
- Delivery type
- Graduate Apprenticeship
- 4 years
- Degree Qualification
- BSc (Hons)
The graduate apprenticeship programme is open to new or existing employees in Scotland of all ages and consists of 20% academic learning and 80% work-based learning.
This graduate apprenticeship programme develops high-quality employees capable of playing key- and leadership roles in leading organisations across the construction industry, general contracting and consultancy.
The Construction and the Built Environment GA is aimed at employment in the areas of Architectural Technology, Building Surveying, Construction Buying and Procurement, Construction Management, Estimating and Tendering, Facilities Management, Planning and Development, Programming, Project Management, Property Surveying, Rural Surveying, Valuation and Quantity Surveying.
The Construction and the Built Environment degree is designed to produce graduates with:
- competence in project and delivery management including the knowledge, skills, and professional competences necessary to begin practice as a professional in the construction and the built environment sector.
- competence in the valuation of land and property (applies to those within the land and property sector only)
- An understanding of appropriate solutions around the principles of design and technology
- the ability to reconcile conflicting project objectives, finding appropriate solutions which recognise, cost, time, quality, life cycle aspects and sustainability
- the ability to learn new methods, and technologies as they emerge and appreciate the necessity of such continuing professional development
- Apply and understand relevant laws – describe standards, regulations and their consequences across the sector
- an understanding of business management concepts, such as data management, business finance and business strategies
- the ability to confidently work both as an individual and part of a team to develop and deliver solutions within construction and the built environment
- an understanding of the importance of applying negotiation, effective work habits, leadership, and good communication with stakeholders
- the ability to take responsibility for obligations for health, safety, welfare environment and quality issues
- Understand the need for and maintain a commitment to a high level of professional and ethical conduct, recognising obligations to society, the profession and the wider environment
The primary focus of the Construction and Built Environment graduate apprenticeship programme is on developing the knowledge, understanding and skills outcomes sought by employers.
Design and technology
- Technology of buildings including materials
- Principles of design & construction
- Detailed pathology of buildings and the related defects, causes and remedies
- Data Management
- Business finance and accounting
- Business strategy and management
Project and delivery management
- Project management
- Project planning
- Project execution
- Project risk assessment and management
- Commercial management
- Valuation of Land and Property (this outcome applies to those within the Land and Property sector only)
- Comply with overarching professional standards
- Exercise responsibilities in an ethical manner
- Maintain current awareness of sustainability and environmental considerations
- Maintain sound theoretical understanding of current and emerging professional practice
- Apply knowledge of health, safety, welfare, environment and quality
Personal and interpersonal
- Personal attributes
- Professional attributes
- Team working
Internationally renowned as a leader in construction research and education, we offer your employees the vital skills versatility required by an increasingly dynamic industry. Our active links with the construction industry ensure a high-quality education that is firmly grounded in the real world.
Ranked 1st in Scotland and 2nd in the UK for Building by The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023
Ranked 1st in Scotland and 7th in the UK for Construction, Surveying and Planning by the Guardian Good University Guide 2023
We are ranked 1st in Scotland and 7th in the UK for Building in the Complete University Guide 2023.
Read our graduate apprenticeship partners' success stories who are already seeing the benefits.
At Heriot-Watt we have an extensive programme of over 90 sports clubs and societies to get involved in. You can try as many as you like or start one of your own!
At Heriot-Watt University, we offer a wide range of services to help you deal with all aspects of your life with us, whether these be academic, personal, technical, financial or just plain fun!
Student Wellbeing Services aim to provide a range of support, guidance, activities and advice to help students to be their best, and get the most from their university experience. From counselling to coaching we'll sure you are fully supported.
There's more to university life than simply getting your degree, and Heriot-Watt University Student Union is all about helping you to have the best possible experience while you study here.
Historic and beautiful, a cultural capital that fuels the senses whether you love the arts or nature, nightlife or study life, Edinburgh is stimulating and inspirational and never, ever boring.
Oriam, Scotland Sports Performance Centre offers state-of-the-art sports facilities, for all levels of sport and ability
Employers around the world actively seek out our graduates because they are work-ready. All our degrees are career-focused and relevant to the needs of industry. Around 95% of our students are in employment or further study within six months of graduating.
We are accredited by the following organisations
At Heriot-Watt University we develop degrees that are relevant for the world of work. We work with Professional bodies and Institutes to gain appropriate Accreditations and Professional Memberships for your industry. Find out below how this degree aligns to industry.
This graduate apprenticeship is fully accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) meaning that apprentices are on a pathway to becoming Chartered construction professionals. Depending on the individual’s career development, this is most likely to be through the Quantity Surveying and Construction pathway or the Project Management pathway.
Register your interest in Graduate Apprenticeships
Places are in high demand, and offered on a first come, first served basis to qualified employees – so please register your interest right away.
If you are an employer, please complete the contact form to our GA team and we will contact you to discuss a detailed plan for your company.
If you are already working, ask your manager to get in touch with us by completing this web form.
If you are looking for an employer who could employ you and put you forward for the GA programme, you can find vacancies with current partner companies.