BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering
The GA programme covers the Civil Engineering modules of structures, geotechnics, water engineering and transportation engineering, and provides students with the key skills and knowledge required to become professionally recognised civil engineers, capable of playing key leadership roles in your organisation.
The purpose of this programme is to produce graduates with the required skills, knowledge and attributes to fulfil the role of Civil Engineer with key skills of project management and the important attributes and behaviours to make them responsible and reflective problem-solvers, critical-thinkers and managers.
The Graduate Apprenticeship in Civil Engineering degree is designed to produce graduates with:
the ability to work in a safe and sustainable way, according to environmental requirements;
- the ability to select appropriate techniques, procedures and technology and use relevant theoretical knowledge and understanding of key concepts and materials;
- scientific and mathematical knowledge and understanding;
- skills in the use of appropriate technologies and digital platforms used in civil engineering;
- skills in the collection and critical analysis of data, combined with appropriate critical-thinking and problem-solving ability;
- skills to design and evaluate civil engineering solutions and to communicate them in an appropriate way;
- the ability to plan and manage projects, including managing and monitoring risk, operating and evaluating performance and managing and allocating tasks and resources;
Key areas of the programme
The subject programme is based on our long established BEng (Hons) and MEng Civil Engineering programs, both accredited by JBM. The primary focus of the Civil Engineering Graduate Apprenticeship Programme is on developing the knowledge, understanding and skills outcomes sought by employers.
Civil engineering practice
- Manage and apply safe systems of work
- Contribute to sustainable development and apply environmental requirements when undertaking civil engineering
- Select appropriate techniques, procedures and technologies to undertake engineering tasks
- Use relevant theoretical knowledge and understanding of key concepts and materials used in civil engineering
- Apply scientific and mathematical knowledge and understanding to civil engineering tasks
- Demonstrate the competent application of digital platforms appropriate to civil engineering
- Collect and critically analyse evidence/data in the application and implementation of civil engineering
Civil engineering design, analysis, specification and maintenance
- Define and deconstruct civil engineering problems, including constraints and limitations
- Use critical-thinking, problem-solving skills and technical knowledge to develop solutions
- Develop appropriate design solutions and evaluate their effectiveness
- Communicate engineering solutions to technical and non-technical audiences
- Plan for successful implementation of civil engineering projects
- Implement risk management
- Operate within contracts and evaluate performance
- Manage and allocate tasks and resources to project plan and budget
- Contribute to continual improvement and effective organisational performance
- Comply with professional standards for civil engineering
- Exercise responsibilities in an ethical manner
- Maintain current awareness of sustainability and environmental legislation, innovation and best practice
- Apply knowledge of the commercial, economic and global context in which civil engineering is undertaken
- Critically reflect on performance to identify areas for improvement
- Broaden and expand sound theoretical understanding and knowledge of current and emerging professional engineering practice and techniques
- Communicate orally, graphically and in writing in English with others at all levels
- Present and discuss proposals
- Demonstrate personal and social skills
- Lead others and work productively as a member of a team
Each of the four key content areas is combined to deliver a holistic learning experience.
Why Heriot-Watt University?
With highly respected and experienced professionals, we develop global leaders in the engineering industry. Heriot-Watt has been ranked 1st for Civil Engineering in Scotland in the National Student Survey for five of the last six years.
Our Graduate Apprenticeship Civil Engineering programme develops civil engineers, capable of playing key leadership roles in your organisation.