We offer a limited number of James Watt Scholarships. Our scholarships are aligned to specific research projects and follow a competitive recruitment process.
Our current PhD students have been sponsored by their employer, Government, or are self-funding, or have been awarded a PhD scholarship by the school or an external funder.
For candidates who are able to self-fund their studies, or who have already secured a Scholarship elsewhere, we can facilitate PhDs in the following areas:
- Sustainable business models for the fashion and textile industries
- Sustainable textile materials
- Design Pedagogy
- Culture and heritage
- Functional textiles innovation and evaluation
- Immersive design
- Smart/functional polymers, fibres and fabrics
- Engineering design 2D/3D fabric structures for various applications
- Modelling of textile materials, structures and prediction of properties
- Micro/Nano encapsulation of PCM for thermal management textiles and clothing
- High velocity impact mechanisms of flexible materials and structures
- Plasma assisted technology for surface modification and low-carbon-emission processes
- Textile dyeing, printing and finishing for added functionality and value
- Design for assistive living
You can contact us about research in these topics. If you have a research proposal related to any aspect of technical textiles, sustainable design or cultural heritage we would be delighted to discuss it further with you.