BSc (Hons) Statistical Data Science
The applications of statistical data science range from economics and medicine, to social and environmental sciences. Our BSc in Statistical Data Science provides a blend of both theoretical and applied elements of modern statistics, and aims to give students the training in modelling, analysing and interpreting real data that is required in the economy, industry and research. The first year of the programme cover basic mathematics, probability and statistics. The final two years focus on specialist topics of statistical modelling and advanced courses in mathematics and data science. A variety of statistical computer packages are used.
Our programme is accredited by the Royal Statistical Society. It is possible for students who have completed the programme to apply for some exemptions from the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries professional examinations.
- Probability and Statistics A & B
- Linear Algebra
- Actuarial and Financial Mathematics A & B
- Multivariable Calculus and Real Analysis A & B
- Algorithmic and Scientific Programming
Optional and elective courses available for Year 1 include:
- Finance and Financial Reporting
- Database Management Systems
- Stochastic Processes
- Statistical Models A
- Statistics for Social Science
- Survival Models
- Statistical Models B
- Bayesian Inference & Computational Methods
Optional courses available for Year 2 may include:
- Portfolio Theory and Asset Models
- Derivative Markets and Discrete-time Finance
- Ordinary Differential Equations
- Introduction to Interactive Design
- Statistics Dissertation A
- Statistical Machine Learning
- Time Series
- Statistics Dissertation B
Optional courses available for Year 3 may include:
- Artificial Intelligence and Intelligent Agents
- Big Data Management
- Continuous-Time Finance
- Data Assimilation
- Risk Theory
- Statistics Special Topic
Due to the near-universal relevance of statistical modelling, career opportunities exist for suitably qualified statisticians in a wide variety of areas, notably, business, insurance, financial consulting, market research, government agencies, the pharmaceutical industry and scientific research in areas such as environmental science.
- A-Level / STPM: ABB
- UEC: 8 points including A1 in Mathematics and Advanced Mathematics, A2 in English
- ATAR (WACE/SACE): WACE : 90 including 80% in Mathematics Method / Specialist | SACE : 90% including 17 in Mathematics Method / Specialist
- Canada Year 12 High School Diploma: CPU is not acceptable
- International Baccalaureate Diploma: 28 points with 6 in HL AA Mathematics (HL Analysis and Approaches Mathematics)
- Foundation: CGPA 3.5 (further assessment is required)
- Diploma: Diploma with CGPA 3.5 (further assessment is required)
- Foundation in Business / Foundation in Science (from Heriot-Watt University Malaysia): Grade C average including A in Mathematics and C in English
- SMA 3 (Indonesia): 8.0
- Year 12 State Board High School Examination (India): 75%
- Senior High School Graduation Certificate (China): 80%
In addition to the entry requirements listed above, applicants must have grade A in Mathematics at SPM/ IGCSE or equivalent. This requirement can be waived if applicants have obtained at least grade pass in Mathematics at a higher level.
We highly urge all prospective students to submit their applications. Our students comprise of individuals with a wide array of qualifications. The most comprehensive way for us to assess eligibility is by receiving a completed application comprising of academic qualification.
Entry requirements in the prospectus and website may not always apply and individual offers may vary.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language, then evidence of proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 is required.
If you do not have IELTS 6.0, we offer a Pre-Sessional English Programme (PSEP) prior to commencing your studies.