BSc (Hons) Statistical Data Science
The applications of statistical data science range from economics and medicine, to social and environmental sciences. Our BSc in Statistical Data Science provides a blend of both theoretical and applied elements of modern statistics, and aims to give students the training in modelling, analysing and interpreting real data that is required in the economy, industry and research. The first year of the programme cover basic mathematics, probability and statistics. The final two years focus on specialist topics of statistical modelling and advanced courses in mathematics and data science. A variety of statistical computer packages are used.
Our programme is accredited by the Royal Statistical Society. It is possible for students who have completed the programme to apply for some exemptions from the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries professional examinations.
- Multivariable Calculus and Real Analysis A
- Linear Algebra
- Actuarial and Financial Mathematics A
- Probability and Statistics A
- Multivariable Calculus and Real Analysis B
- Actuarial and Financial Mathematics B
- Probability and Statistics B
- Algorithmic and Scientific Programming
- Operations Management (Elective)
- Finance and Financial Reporting (Elective)
- Stochastic Processes
- Statistical Models A
- Statistics for Social Science
- Survival Models
- Statistical Models B
- Bayesian Inference & Computational Methods
- Human Resource Management (Elective)
- Portfolio Theory and Asset Models (Option)
- Derivative Markets and Discrete-time Finance (Option)
- Ordinary Differential Equations (Option)
- Statistical Dissertation A
- Statistical Machine Learning
- Time Series
- Statistical Dissertation B
- Continuous-Time Finance (Option)
- Data Assimilation (Option)
- Risk Theory (Option)
- Statistics Special Topic (Option)
- Risk Management: Techniques and Tools (Option)
- Project Management (Elective)
Due to the near-universal relevance of statistical modelling, career opportunities exist for suitably qualified statisticians in a wide variety of areas, notably, business, insurance, financial consulting, market research, government agencies, the pharmaceutical industry and scientific research in areas such as environmental science.
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Foundation in Science: ABBC – A in Mathematics, B in Physics, B in Chemistry, C in Academic English/Study Skills
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia Foundation in Business: ABBC – A in Mathematics, B in Accountancy and Finance, B in Business Management, C in Academic English/Study Skills
- A-Level/STPM: ABB including A in Mathematics
- UEC: 8 points or less including A1 in Mathematics and Advanced Mathematics (5 subjects not less than B grade)
- **WACE/SACE: ATAR 90 (WACE: Minimum 80% in Mathematics/SACE: Minimum 17.0 in Mathematics)
- SMA 3 (Indonesia): 8
- IB Diploma: 28 points (Minimum 6 in HL Mathematics)
- Diploma with high level of attainment in mathematics recognised by the Malaysian Government, acceptable to the University.
- Any other relevant qualification with high level of attainment in mathematics recognised by the Malaysian Government
**Maybe subject to additional school assessment.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language, then evidence of proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 is required.
If you do not have IELTS 6.0, we offer a Pre-Sessional English Programme (PSEP) prior to commencing your studies.