BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
Modern society needs high quality Mechanical Engineering graduates for their professional mechanical engineering skills and expertise. Mechanical Engineering offers an exciting environment where many skills are brought together to enable the undergraduate student to understand:
- how products are engineered, manufactured and supported
- how and where analytical engineering science and mathematics are used in design, development and research
- how the use and management of resources is important to society and business competitiveness
- how it is necessary to communicate and present concepts to engineers and non-engineers alike
Mechanical engineers play key roles in all industrial sectors, from aerospace and oil and gas, through food and transport, to the manufacturing, chemical and entertainment industries. Professional mechanical engineers are at the forefront of the management of the Earth’s natural resources, as they strive to meet the conflicting demands of the modern world, in particular the desire for ever-increasing living standards in the face of limited resources and environmental concerns.
These challenges are perhaps clearest in the field of energy production and utilisation. In many areas of the world, provision of adequate water supplies is an ever more pressing problem. As well as having vital roles in providing these basic necessities, mechanical engineers belong to teams responsible for the design and manufacture of countless articles we take for granted today, from aircraft to artificial joints.
Why study Mechanical Engineering at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- Lay the foundations for a career in mechanical engineering, an area with excellent and varied career prospects
- Learn how many of the devices and machines we take for granted work.
- Study a subject that lets you apply the principles of mathematics and physics to the real world
- Learn the skills that will put you in a position to move into management roles as a professional engineer
- Explore the exciting worlds of transport, manufacturing, power plant, medical engineering and many others
- Whatever your final career path, developing the ability to apply quantitative methods to solving problems – the basis of engineering – will be an invaluable asset.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
The BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering degree is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), who are licensed by the Engineering Council to accredit academic programmes from universities and colleges that drive young engineers toward professional registration as a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer.
The professors at Heriot-Watt taught me various courses which helped me apply the theoretical knowledge to solve real life problems faced by the industrial client.
Emphasis is on developing basic mathematical, scientific and communication skills. Subjects include Physics, Design and Manufacture, Materials Science, Engineering Sciences, Electronics and Foundation Mathematics.
Subjects include Machine Design, Electrical Machines, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Design and Manufacture, Advanced Mathematics and Strength of Materials.
Subjects include Applied Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Design and Manufacture, Control Engineering and Instrumentation, Management and an option to take Energy Studies or Automotive Technologies.
As well as an individual research project, students undertake courses in Engineering Design and Engineering Manufacture (in partnership with industry) and can choose to be more specialised in their choice of engineering sciences by selecting from options in Fluid Dynamics, Thermodynamics, Strength of Materials and Machine Dynamics.
There is a constant demand for Mechanical Engineering graduates in many sectors, including power production, oil and petrochemicals, transportation, building services, utilities and manufacturing. There are few activities that do not require mechanical engineering input at some stage, and this is reflected in the opportunities available to mechanical engineers. Many engineers move into management positions where their numeracy and problem solving skills are valued.
Our entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level CCC (or AABB at AS-Level)
- CBSE 65%.
- American High School Diploma + SAT 1s - 1000
- Tawjihiyya 80%
- International Baccalaureate 24 points.
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma MMM
- Foundation year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Engineering) with a BBBB.
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent – 70%
- Curriculum Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) with minimum grade of 5 + IELTS 6.0
- EmSAT minimum 1400 English, 1300 Maths, 1100 Physics, 1100 Chemistry
- Compulsory subjects to include Mathematics, Physics and English.
Second year entry
- GCE A-Levels BBC.
- International Baccalaureate 27 points.
- CBSE Overall 85%
- American High School 70% + 3 AP at grade 4 OR Minimum 3 SAT 2’s 500 each
- Higher National Diploma (HND) PPP
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma DDD
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent 85%
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to email@example.com
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 Academic (with no element below 5.5).
Fees and funding
- AED 67704 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.