Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
New number TBC
The Interior Design programme provides students the opportunity to develop their creative and artistic talent within a unique, explorative and highly design-focused course structure where the main emphasis is on international contemporary design.
Throughout the programme, students are educated in design awareness, ability and critique, method construction and the technical characteristics required to advance a career in the vast and complex industry of interior design.
Why study Interior Design at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- Strong links and support from a broad range of design industrial partners both in the UAE and within our global network.
- Practical based programme addressing in detail all aspects of the interior design sector.
- Unique British design education with an emphasis on high academic standards where students are exposed to design-focused collaborations with industry experts.
- Praised highly for considerable active press and media coverage received over last three years.
- Voted number one in Scotland for art and design and number eight in the UK.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
The first year provides an introduction to the discipline of interior design research and conceptual approaches across the project briefs. Students also gain core skills through industry related projects and collaborative group work. Students are encouraged to develop individual strengths and skills in the analysis and evaluation of their work as well as through Creative and Contemporary Studies.
Students further develop their design ability and technical skill sets whilst undertaking advanced courses in Design Studio, Contemporary and Contextual Studies, Technical Studies and Building Services. During second year, students further refine their design techniques and progressively develop key disciplinary attributes across design enhancement, construction learning material and, notably, through the use of professional drafting software.
Students are exposed to a higher level of interior design industry experience through a broad range of projects, competitions and collaborations to further develop their skill set and knowledge base. Students will undertake studies in Interior Design Business in Practice, Environment and Behaviour, and Interior Design for a Commercial Context as well as the staple Design Studio and Creative and Contemporary Studies courses.
Students themselves control the final year topic and channel the direction of their own project, which forms the main body of work for the BA (Hons) degree. A full interior project of work is researched, designed and produced alongside an academic report. This report complements the creative and professional body of work, which is aimed at a specific user function and specialist sector, to demonstrate a comprehensive level of understanding and knowledge of the interior design industry.
Upon graduation, students can pursue a range of careers and roles within the interior design industry and its related areas, including:
- interior designer (commercial, residential)
- lighting designer
- television, magazine and film set designer
- healthcare design specialist
- furniture designer
- sole interior design practitioner
- design director
- retail window designer
- interior site coordinator
- interior space planner
- exhibition designer
Our normal entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level CCD (or BBBB at AS-Level)
- CBSE or equivalent 65%
- American High School Diploma + SAT1s - 1000.
- UAE Tawjihiyya 80%
- International Baccalaureate 24 points or above.
- African WAEC / NECO / WASSCE B2s
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma MMM
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent 70%
- Curriculum Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) with minimum grade of 5 + IELTS 6.0
- Foundation year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Design Studies) with a BBBB. Degree Entry Programme (Management / Psychology) will also be considered.
- A mix of A-Levels and AS-Levels are accepted as long as there are no duplicate subjects in each of the levels
Second year entry
- Successful completion of first year of a recognized degree programme in related field with a strong portfolio of work. Please contact the Recruitment and Admissions Office to discuss further.
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 Academic (with no element below 5.5).
Fees and funding
- AED 65100 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.