BA (Hons) Interior Design
- Delivery type
- 4 years (full-time)
- Intake date
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
The Interior Design programme provides students the opportunity to develop their creative and artistic talent within a unique, explorative and highly design-focused course structure where the main emphasis is on international contemporary design.
Throughout the programme, students are educated in design awareness, ability and critique, method construction and the technical characteristics required to advance a career in the vast and complex industry of interior design.
Why study Interior Design at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- Strong links and support from a broad range of design industrial partners both in the UAE and within our global network.
- Practical based programme addressing in detail all aspects of the interior design sector.
- Unique British design education with an emphasis on high academic standards where students are exposed to design-focused collaborations with industry experts.
- Praised highly for considerable active press and media coverage received over last three years.
- Voted number one in Scotland for art and design and number eight in the UK.
Read more about the UAE Federal Accreditation.
The first year provides an introduction to the discipline of interior design research and conceptual approaches across the project briefs. Students also gain core skills through industry related projects and collaborative group work. Students are encouraged to develop individual strengths and skills in the analysis and evaluation of their work as well as through Creative and Contemporary Studies.
Students further develop their design ability and technical skill sets whilst undertaking advanced courses in Design Studio, Contemporary and Contextual Studies, Technical Studies and Building Services. During second year, students further refine their design techniques and progressively develop key disciplinary attributes across design enhancement, construction learning material and, notably, through the use of professional drafting software.
Students are exposed to a higher level of interior design industry experience through a broad range of projects, competitions and collaborations to further develop their skill set and knowledge base. Students will undertake studies in Interior Design Business in Practice, Environment and Behaviour, and Interior Design for a Commercial Context as well as the staple Design Studio and Creative and Contemporary Studies courses.
Students themselves control the final year topic and channel the direction of their own project, which forms the main body of work for the BA (Hons) degree. A full interior project of work is researched, designed and produced alongside an academic report. This report complements the creative and professional body of work, which is aimed at a specific user function and specialist sector, to demonstrate a comprehensive level of understanding and knowledge of the interior design industry.
Upon graduation, students can pursue a range of careers and roles within the interior design industry and its related areas, including:
- interior designer (commercial, residential)
- lighting designer
- television, magazine and film set designer
- healthcare design specialist
- furniture designer
- sole interior design practitioner
- design director
- retail window designer
- interior site coordinator
- interior space planner
- exhibition designer
Our normal entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level - CCD (or BBBB at AS Level)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards – 65%
- American High School Diploma/SABIS - 70% + SAT I – 1000 (500 English + 500 Math)
- Tawjihiyya - 80% or Elite/Advance - 75% + EmSAT (English 1400 and Math 700)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 24 points (3 HL subjects and 3 SL Subjects)
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - MMM
- FBISE or grade 12 equivalent - 70%
- Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) - Grades of 5 in every subject + IELTS 6.0
- French Baccalaureate - 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Lebanese Baccalaureate - 80% or 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Foundation year - Successful completion of HWU Entry Programme (Management/Design) with BBBB
- Compulsory subjects to include English.
Second year entry
- Successful completion of first year of a recognized degree programme in related field with a strong portfolio of work. Please contact the Recruitment and Admissions Office to discuss further.
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
As our degrees are taught and assessed in English, applicants must be able to prove their level of English language ability. To know more, please refer to our English language requirements.
Fees and funding
- AED 70412 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.