BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
This programme is aimed at those with a desire to study electronics, hardware system design or electrical technology.
It provides the theoretical basis and design methods for communications, computers, programming, software engineering, control and other electronic and electrical energy systems. Practical and organisational skills are encouraged through project, design and laboratory work and through presentations and management studies.
Graduates have the knowledge and skills to enter a career in a wide range of industries, including, but not limited to, power generation and transmission, renewable energy technology, smart tech and smart cities, electric vehicles, robotics, building services, electronics and communications.
Why study Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- Learn how many of the electronic devices we take for granted work
- Study a subject that lets you apply the principles of mathematics and physics to the real world
- Learn the skills that will put you in a position to move into management roles as a professional engineer
- Explore the exciting worlds of electronics, robotics, computing and power generation
- Whatever your final career path, developing the ability to apply quantitative methods to solving problems — the basis of engineering — will be an invaluable asset.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
Accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as an Incorporated Engineer and partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
Being at Heriot-Watt Dubai Campus has given me the same atmosphere that I had when I previously studied in Scotland, while allowing me to be closer to my friends and family.
Develops the students’ knowledge of mathematics and physics. Introduces topics within electrical and electronic engineering and their underlying principles. The fundamentals of computers, circuit theory, programming and software engineering are introduced as tools for today’s engineers. In the practical laboratories, students are exposed to efficient ways of working, experimentation and reporting of work.
Analysis of electrical and electronic systems is taught in the second year and is backed up by laboratory exercises of a more investigative nature. Programming and software development are studied further. The design process is introduced through a set of analogue and digital project assignments. Students also study Business Awareness, Safety and Sustainability to prepare them for working in industry.
Direct entrants to second year are offered bridging courses to revise essential material from the first year.
The emphasis turns to design synthesis. Subjects such as Energy Systems, Power Electronics, Communications and Signal Processing are studied in a comparative manner from which emerge identities that help students to deepen their understanding of the subject. The process of innovation through team working is developed in small group projects that require an integrated combination of hardware and software to reach a design objective.
Subjects in the fourth year cover the whole spectrum of electrical and electronic engineering. The courses offered include topics such as:
- Advanced Analogue Electronics
- Linear Control
- Microwave Techniques
- Electrical Power Systems
- Digital Signal Processing
- Sustainable Energy and Power Systems
- Industrial Power Systems
- Systems Level Integration
In addition, each student will undertake an individual project ending in a dissertation and presentation.
Electrical and Electronic Engineering graduates work in many sectors, including power production and transmission, transportation, building services, utilities, electronics, computing and communications. Most modern systems rely on electric power and electronic control, and this is reflected in the opportunities available to electrical and electronic engineers. Many engineers move into management positions where their numeracy and problem solving skills are valued.
Our entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level CCC (or AABB at AS-Level)
- CBSE 65%.
- American High School Diploma + SAT 1s - 1000
- Tawjihiyya 80%
- International Baccalaureate 24 points.
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma MMM
- Foundation year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Engineering) with a BBBB.
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent – 70%
- Curriculum Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) with minimum grade of 5 + IELTS 6.0
- EmSAT minimum 1400 English, 1300 Maths, 1100 Physics, 1100 Chemistry
- Compulsory subjects to include Mathematics, Physics and English.
Second year entry
- GCE A-Levels BBC.
- International Baccalaureate 27 points.
- CBSE Overall 85%
- American High School 70% + 3 AP at grade 4 OR Minimum 3 SAT 2’s 500 each
- Higher National Diploma (HND) PPP
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma DDD
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent 85%
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 Academic (with no element below 5.5).
Fees and funding
- AED 67704 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.