Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 52 2139432
Our four-year BSc Computer Systems Honours degree is oriented to constructing robust and useable computing systems. We aim to teach people not only how to deploy cutting edge tools and techniques, but also help them to develop other professional skills that will enable them to communicate clearly, work independently and cooperate effectively.
In industry, commerce and the public sector, where business transactions are underpinned by technology, workplaces need individuals who can create and exploit practical and effective systems. Our graduates will move into these sectors armed with a blend of interpersonal and technical skills that will meet current needs and the needs of the organisations of the future.
The BSc (Hons) Computer Systems degree is accredited by BCS, the chartered institute for IT.
Why study Computer Systems at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- Unlike other universities, ours offers a technical programme that equips students with the right skills for programming and web development.
- We carry out extensive research in computer science subjects, which feeds into our teaching programmes, keeping them relevant and up to date.
- A large percentage of our graduates get good jobs following graduation.
- We have transfer options to our Edinburgh Campus, allowing students to complete their studies in the UK.
- Students who wish to remain in Dubai after graduation can extend their studies by entering one of our postgraduate diploma programmes leading to a Master’s award.
The Computer Science Department has been delivering BCS-accredited programmes for more than 30 years.
Our Computer Systems degree is accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Engineering Council, fully meeting the academic requirement for Incorporated Engineer and partially meeting the academic requirement for a Chartered Engineer.
It’s also accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Science Council for the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Scientist.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
We use theory and practice to help you develop basic programming skills and learn how to create mobile apps. In addition, other courses will cover basic computing, mathematical and study skills. These include a course on web design and databases.
Students will continue with Interaction Design, Web Programming, Data Structures and Algorithms, Software Design, Database Management Systems and Programming Languages.
Students will study the following topics: Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Intelligent Agents, Knowledge Management, Operating Systems, Professional Development and Language Processors. In addition, you will work on a group programming project.
Students work on a major individual project and also carry out studies in advanced topics such as Big Data Management, Industrial Programming, Mobile Communications and Programming, Computer Games Programming and Network Applications.
Prospects in industry, commerce and the public sector are excellent. The growth in network services on computers in the office and home, and on mobile handheld devices, has increased the demand for experts who can design, implement and manage systems combining rich computational, communication and multimedia facilities for non-specialist users.
Our entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level CCC (or AABB at AS-Level)
- CBSE 65%.
- American High School Diploma + SAT 1s - 1000
- Tawjihiyya 80%
- International Baccalaureate 24 points.
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma MMM
- Foundation year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Engineering) with a BBBB.
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent – 70%
- Curriculum Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) with minimum grade of 5 + IELTS 6.0
- EmSAT minimum 1400 English, 1300 Maths, 1100 Physics, 1100 Chemistry
- Compulsory subject to include English.
Second year entry
- GCE A-Levels BBC.
- International Baccalaureate 27 points.
- CBSE Overall 85%
- American High School 70% + 3 AP at grade 4 OR Minimum 3 SAT 2’s 500 each
- Higher National Diploma (HND) PPP
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma DDD
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent 85%
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Compulsory subjects to include Computer Science and English.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to email@example.com
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 Academic (with no element below 5.5).
Fees and funding
- AED 65100 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.