BEng (Hons) Chemical Engineering
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
Chemical engineering is about transforming raw materials into valuable and desirable products, creating durable products and services, and producing the enabling technology and know-how for a sustainable future. Chemical and biochemical engineers often have the satisfaction of being able to provide valuable input at every stage of a project – from the initial idea through to the product emerging at the end of the line and even going to market. The products of the chemical and process industries ensure that these are among the most successful and thriving types of business in the world. Chemical engineers play a vital role in achieving that success.
Our Chemical Engineering programme aims to provide students with a sound understanding of chemical engineering fundamentals to enable them to progress to professional Chartered Engineer status. In addition to a grounding in science, mathematics and engineering, our students acquire practical skills that are highly sought after by industry.
Why study Chemical Engineering at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- Lay the foundations for a career in chemical engineering, an area with excellent and varied career prospects.
- Learn how to create valuable products from lower cost raw materials.
- Study a subject that lets you apply the principles of mathematics and chemistry to processes in the real world.
- Learn the skills that will put you in a position to move into management roles as a professional engineer.
- Whatever your final career path, developing the ability to apply quantitative methods to solving problems – the basis of engineering – will be an invaluable asset.
The BEng (Hons) Chemical Engineering is accredited by the Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) on behalf of the Engineering Council.*
*for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as an incorporated engineer and partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a chartered engineer.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
Provides a general introduction to the subject, emphasising the role of basic mathematics and science. Courses introduce basic techniques and principles of chemical engineering, including Mass Balances, Basic Thermodynamics, and Energy Balances. An awareness of professional and personal development forms a critical part of the teaching in this year.
Important themes focus on an understanding of the movement of materials, heat and how materials behave. Principal components include Fluid Mechanics, Heat Transfer, Mass Transfer and Thermodynamics. Also includes a mini design project.
Provides opportunities to analyse key operations in industry, in particular the processing and separation of gases and liquids. In parallel, other subjects look at chemical reactor theory, how processes are controlled and the prediction of physical behaviour. Topics on Safety, Environment and Economics are consolidated in a groupbased project.
A central theme is the advanced analysis of key processing operations and their control. Specialist topics include Processing Solids, Energy Efficiency and Developing Sustainable Processes. A group-based design project and individual research project are also undertaken.
Available jobs range from research and development, through the design, commissioning and management of plant, to product marketing and technical services in a wide range of industries from food processing to petroleum and pharmaceuticals.
Our entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level CCC (or AABB at AS-Level)
- CBSE 65%.
- American High School Diploma + SAT 1s - 1000
- Tawjihiyya 80%
- International Baccalaureate 24 points.
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma MMM
- Foundation year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Engineering) with a BBBB.
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent – 70%
- Curriculum Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) with minimum grade of 5 + IELTS 6.0
- EmSAT minimum 1400 English, 1300 Maths, 1100 Physics, 1100 Chemistry
- Compulsory subjects to include Mathematics, English and Chemistry.
Second year entry
- GCE A-Levels BBC.
- International Baccalaureate 27 points.
- CBSE Overall 85%
- American High School 70% + 3 AP at grade 4 OR Minimum 3 SAT 2’s 500 each
- Higher National Diploma (HND) PPP
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma DDD
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent 85%
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 Academic (with no element below 5.5).
Fees and funding
- AED 65100 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.