MA (Hons) Business and Finance
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
An understanding of business and finance is an essential prerequisite for those who intend to pursue a career in commerce, industry or public administration. Operating in international markets requires an understanding of international accounting standards, taxation, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, and exchange and interest rates. It is not surprising that there is a continuing demand for graduates who have specialised in these subjects. Professional bodies will offer substantial examination exemptions and reduced periods of pre-qualifying service to approved graduates.
The Heriot-Watt programme in Business and Finance is a joint degree programme with equal emphasis on the subject areas of management and finance. The aim of the programme is to encourage the development of cognitive skills so that as students progress they develop knowledge and understanding, learn to apply that knowledge and understanding, and become versed in the deeper approach to learning as evidenced by powers of analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
Why study Business and Finance at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- High quality British degree programme.
- Enhance your career in either the business or finance sector
- Develop and enhance your skills.
- Further your career prospects.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
This programme is affiliated with the Chartered Financial Analyst Institute. This gold star recognition implies that students who pursue this programme with Heriot-Watt University Dubai will cover all the courses in their degree pathways to successfully complete the CFA Level 1 examination.
Being a Heriot-Watt graduate will give me a competitive advantage in the industry as I will have the right skills and potential for the right job. Also coming from a renowned university makes a big difference.
Students take up introductory subjects such as Introduction to Accounting and Finance, Introduction to Economics, Introduction to Marketing, and Management in a Global Context. Subjects like Academics Skills, Discovering a Business and Becoming a Professional will be offered to strengthen the foundation of the programme.
The main aspects of management and finance are developed. Management subjects include Marketing, Organisational Behaviour, Operations Management, Commercial Law and Human Resource Management. Finance subjects include Finance Theory and Markets. Quantitative Techniques courses are taken to equip students with the knowledge and skills that will be required in subsequent years.
Students will undertake core finance subjects in Corporate Finance and Security Markets. In addition, students will take business related subjects including Strategic Management, Business Research Methods, Project Management and Marketing.
The final year provides an opportunity for specialisation in management and studies in International and Contemporary Issues in relevant Business and Finance areas. Students must also undertake a dissertation in an area of business or finance of particular interest to them.
When studying Business and Finance, you can expect career opportunities in the following roles: financial advisor, business operations manager, production manager, quality control, logistics manager, business interpreter, marketing executive, retail manager, advertising manager, digital marketer and project manager.
Our normal entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level - CCD (or BBBB at AS Level)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards – 65%
- American High School Diploma/SABIS - 70% + SAT I – 1000 (500 English + 500 Math)
- Tawjihiyya - 80% or Elite/Advance - 75% + EmSAT (English 1400 and Math 700)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 24 points (3 HL and 3 SL)
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - MMM
- African WAEC/NECO/WASSCE - B2
- FBISE or grade 12 equivalent - 70%
- Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) - Grades of 5 in every subject + IELTS 6.0
- French Baccalaureate - 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Lebanese Baccalaureate - 80% or 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Foundation year - Successful completion of HWU Entry Programme (Management) with BBBB
- Compulsory subjects to include English.
Second year entry
- GCE A-Level - CCC
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 27 points (3 HL – including Business and Accounts, and 3 SL)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards - 75%
- American High School Diploma/SABIS - 70% + 3 AP at grade 4 or Minimum 3 SAT Subjects (SAT II)500 each, in relevant subjects.
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - DDD
- FBISE or grade 12 equivalent – 85%
- Compulsory subjects to include English, Business Management.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
As our degrees are taught and assessed in English, applicants must be able to prove their level of English language ability. To know more, please refer to our English language requirements.
Fees and funding
- AED 63598 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.