BEng (Hons) Automotive Engineering
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
Automotive engineers use their creativity and knowledge of mathematics and physics to design, manufacture and manage the technologies and systems that are fundamental to the wellbeing and advancement of society.
This programme is based on our Mechanical Engineering programme, but allows students in the later years to specialise in subjects relating to automotive technology.
Automotive engineering continues to be a major employer of professional engineers, owing to the increasing challenges of producing desirable and profitable vehicles and advancement in Electric Vehicle Technology.
Students of Automotive Engineering join the HWU Formula Students Team, HWRacing, to design, build and race a F1-style car annually. The relevant subjects are the core mechanical engineering sciences together with electronic engineering and materials engineering. There is an increasing emphasis throughout on the processes of design and manufacture.
Why study Automotive Engineering at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- Lay the foundations for a career in mechanical engineering in an area with an emphasis on automotive technology
- Learn about the engineering that underpins the design and operation of vehicles
- Study a subject that lets you apply the principles of mathematics and physics to the real world
- Learn the skills that will put you in a position to move into management roles as a professional engineer
- Explore the exciting worlds of transport, manufacturing, power plant, vehicle dynamics and many others
- Whatever your final career path, developing the ability to apply quantitative methods to solving problems – the basis of engineering – will be an invaluable asset.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
Emphasis is on developing basic mathematical, scientific and communication skills. Topics include Design and Manufacture, Materials Science, Engineering Sciences and Electronics.
Subjects include Machine Design, Electrical Machines, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Design and Manufacture, Advanced Mathematics and Strength of Materials.
Subjects include Applied Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Materials, Design and Manufacture, Business Awareness, Safety and Sustainability and Automotive Technologies.
Students undertake an individual research project in the area of automotive technology.
Subjects include A Review of Selected Automotive Technologies, Engineering Design and Engineering Manufacture (in partnership with industry) and Dynamics.
There are also options from Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Strength of Materials and Machine Dynamics.
As a degree recognised as involving a strong component of mechanical engineering, Automotive Engineering gives graduates many of the same opportunities. It is most appropriate for students wishing to pursue a career in a related field such as transportation, vehicle design or motor sport.
Our entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
Students who are eligible to be admitted directly into second year can choose to join the first year, where available.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level CCC (or AABB at AS-Level)
- CBSE 65%.
- American High School Diploma + SAT 1s - 1000
- Tawjihiyya 80%
- International Baccalaureate 24 points.
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma MMM
- Foundation year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Engineering) with a BBBB.
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent – 70%
- Curriculum Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) with minimum grade of 5 + IELTS 6.0
- EmSAT minimum 1400 English, 1300 Maths, 1100 Physics, 1100 Chemistry
- Compulsory subjects to include Mathematics, Physics and English.
Second year entry
- GCE A-Levels BBC.
- International Baccalaureate 27 points.
- CBSE Overall 85%
- American High School 70% + 3 AP at grade 4 OR Minimum 3 SAT 2’s 500 each
- Higher National Diploma (HND) PPP
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma DDD
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent 85%
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0 Academic (with no element below 5.5).
Fees and funding
- AED 67704 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.