MA (Hons) Accountancy and Finance
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
Accountancy has often been described as the language of business, and it has long been recognised that an understanding of accounting and finance is an essential prerequisite for those who intend to pursue a career in commerce, industry or public administration. The increasingly complex environment within which both financial and international business is conducted and the development and spread of computerised techniques continue to reinforce the need for such an understanding.
The value of such studies is also recognised by professional accountancy and allied societies, which offer, to approved graduates, substantial examination exemptions and reduced periods of pre-qualifying service. Our Accountancy and Finance programme is a specialist degree particularly well suited to those seeking entry into the accountancy profession and careers in financial services or financial management.
It aims to encourage the development of cognitive skills so that students learn to apply their new knowledge and understanding as they progress, and become versed in the deeper approach to learning, using powers of analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
Why study Accountancy and Finance at Heriot-Watt University in Dubai?
- High quality British degree programme
- Gain a relevant degree that is recognised by professional bodies and matches industry needs
- Develop and enhance your skills
- Further your career prospects.
As our flagship accounting degree, this accountancy and finance programme is accredited by a number of institutions for exemptions from some professional examinations:
- Accredited by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) for the purpose of exemptions from some professional examinations.
- Accredited by the Association of International Accountants (AIA) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations.
- Accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations through the Accredited degree accelerated route.
- Accredited by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales (ICAEW) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations.
- Accredited by the Institute of Chartered Accountants Scotland (ICAS) for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations.
- Accredited by the CPA Australia for the purpose of exemption from some professional examinations.
Read more about the UAE Federal Accreditation.
Students take up introductory subjects such as Introduction to Accounting and Finance, Introduction to Economics, Introduction to Marketing, and Management in a Global Context. Subjects like Academics Skills, Discovering a Business and Becoming a Professional will be offered to strengthen the foundation of the programme.
Students will begin to broaden their study. Accountancy subjects include Financial Reporting and Management Accounting. Finance subjects include Finance Theory and Markets and Corporate Financial Theory. Commercial Law, Business Entities and Quantitative Methods are also available.
Students undertake accounting studies in Auditing and Advanced Management Accounting. Finance subjects include Corporate Finance, Mergers and Acquisitions, Security Markets and Advanced Financial Accounting. Research Methods is also taught.
The final year provides an opportunity for specialisation, with studies in Accountancy Theory, International Accounting, Corporate Reporting and Corporate Governance. Students must also undertake a dissertation in an area of particular interest to them.
Students have the option to transfer to the Edinburgh Campus to study for their Honours year.
Our normal entry criteria are listed below. However, please note that the final decision remains at the discretion of the course director after evaluating scores of individual relevant subjects.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level - CCD (or BBBB at AS Level)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards – 65%
- American High School Diploma/SABIS - 70% + SAT I – 1000 (500 English + 500 Math)
- Tawjihiyya - 80% or Elite/Advance - 75% + EmSAT (English 1400 and Math 700)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 24 points (3 HL and 3 SL)
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - MMM
- African WAEC/NECO/WASSCE - B2
- FBISE or grade 12 equivalent - 70%
- Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) - Grades of 5 in every subject + IELTS 6.0
- French Baccalaureate - 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Lebanese Baccalaureate - 80% or 13/20 + IELTS 6.0
- Foundation year - Successful completion of HWU Entry Programme (Management) with CCCC
- Compulsory subjects to include English.
Second year entry (September Intake Only)
- GCE A-Level - CCC
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme - 27 points (3 HL – including Business and Accounts, and 3 SL)
- CBSE/Other Indian Boards - 75%
- American High School Diploma/SABIS - 70% + 3 AP at grade 4 or Minimum 3 SAT Subjects (SAT II) 500 each, in relevant subjects.
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma - DDD
- FBISE or grade 12 equivalent – 85%
- Compulsory subjects to include English, Business Management, Accountancy.
To find out about the entry requirements for this programme, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
English language requirements
As our degrees are taught and assessed in English, applicants must be able to prove their level of English language ability. To know more, please refer to our English language requirements.
Fees and funding
- AED 63598 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.