Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 52 2139432
The PhD programme in the School of Social Sciences offers unique opportunities for students in the region to research issues of relevance to the Islamic and Arab world as well as globally.
For instance, the programme offers opportunities for research in areas such as Islamic business, international human resource management, cross-cultural management, equality and diversity, emiratisation and other nationalisation policies, marketing, sustainability, accounting, finance and corporate governance.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
Research topics for PhD supervision
- International Human Resource Management
- Human Resource Management policies and practices in local and multinational organisations
- Expatriate staff in organisations (experiences, organisational strategies, etc.)
- Diversity/Equality in organisations
- Emiratisation, Qatarisation (and any other nationalisation/localisation) policies
- Critical management, comparative management and Islamic management. Cross cultural management
- Electronic HRM (specifically internet recruitment)
- Small and Medium size enterprises (SMEs) and Entrepreneurship development
- Female Entrepreneurs
- Employer branding
- Non-genuine branded goods (from a marketing perspective)
- Customer relationship management (CRM; Relationship Marketing; Trust, commitment and quality in customer, business and marketing channel relationships (especially in a financial services context); Marketing Channel Management. Ethical and environmental dimensions of Consumer behaviour and marketing practice.)
- Digital marketing, social media, consumer behaviour online
Accounting, Banking, Finance areas
- Corporate governance and corporate finance
- Corporate governance and regulatory reforms in emerging economies
- Risk management and efficiency in the banking sector
- Islamic banking and finance
- Corporate social and environmental responsibilities
- Carbon disclosures and biodiversity
- Financial Reporting and Corporate Disclosure
- Risk Disclosure
- Investor Relations
- Management Accounting
- International Accounting
- Corporate Governance and Ethics
- Accounting education and ethics
- Socio-economic perspectives on accounting
- Interested applicants should complete the online application form, making clear on the form that you are applying to study at the Dubai Campus.
- If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Shirin El Chami (S.El_Chami@hw.ac.uk).
Applicants interested in our PhD opportunities need to submit the following:
- Copies of full academic transcripts from all previous academic degree courses and copies of certificates for degrees already awarded.
- Confirmation of funding source and/or confirmation of sponsorship/sufficient funds to pursue studies.
- A detailed research proposal.
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction during previous education, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.5. Other qualifications may also be considered.
Fees and funding
- AED 81900 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.
The research proposal (normally 3 to 4 pages) should contain as much as possible of the following:
- Introduction or outline of the proposed topic
- Statement of objective(s) and/or specific research questions
- Summary of some of the relevant literature that supports the research objective(s)
- An indication of the intended research methodology
- An indication of the theoretical structure and/or conceptual outline
- A provisional timetable of the major phases of the research process
- Results expected from the research, e.g., practical value of the research or possible contributions to knowledge, policy or methodology. At this stage we are not looking for a definitive document but merely an indication that you have thought through most of the above issues. Please note that work submitted may be subject to screening using plagiarism software.