Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
The EngD is equivalent to a PhD in its intellectual challenge, but as a research engineer (EngD) student, your research will be industry-led and your project will involve your company as an industrial sponsor. This provides an unparalleled opportunity to gain experience working at the cutting-edge of research that is relevant to industry.
You will gain an in-depth understanding of the fundamentals of construction engineering management with the flexibility to tailor the technical and business training to the requirements of the company’s research area and your career aspirations.
The Engineering Doctorate (EngD) in Construction combines advanced technical and management training with PhD level research in partnership with an industry partner/sponsor. Research projects will be directly relevant to the strategic plans of your industry partner and cover a wide range of topics in the interrelated, and globally critical areas of construction and engineering.
EngD in Construction graduates will have generated new knowledge or improved business practice in areas of the construction sector relevant to their and their employers' interests and priorities. Research engineers undertaking the programme will have flexibility to tailor the technical and business management training to the requirements of their research area and to the business needs of their employer.
EngD students will benefit from the expertise and supervision of the academic staff and their industry sponsor. Research projects will be developed collaboratively by the academic supervisors and the research student in consultation with the sponsoring company. Sponsoring companies can range in size from SMEs to University spin-outs to multinational organisations.
Do students need an industrial partner to do EngD?
Does the industrial supervisor need to have a PhD or EngD?
What skills does an EngD provide?
Is EngD qualification better than a PhD?
Can students continue their existing jobs as part of their EngD?
Do students get a stipend during the EngD programme?
Who will hold the Intellectual property (IP) of the research?
Are students able to publish their work in journals/conferences?
What areas of research can be expected to form part of EngD programme?
- Reducing costs (construction project lifecycle costs)
- Reducing greenhouse emissions and the production of wastes
- Improving the health, safety and wellbeing of employees and community
- Smart Construction
- Sustainable Development
- Current trends and future opportunities
- Resilient cities
- Energy and water conservation
Must students wait for the new academic year in September to start their EngD?
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
The EngD is a four-year course and you would spend, on average, 80% of your time in industry and 20% at the University. The first two years will include taught courses delivered in the evenings for convenience in advanced technical areas relating to their research, combined with appropriate commercial skills training. In these early years the critical research skills will be developed through taught courses and research project work. Year’s three to four are wholly spent conducting applied research, with the opportunity to gain valuable industry and commercial experience with the sponsoring company and an ongoing programme of commercial skills development.
In the first two years of the EngD in Construction the student would complete the equivalent of a part-time PGDip or MSc. Throughout the 4 years of study, the student will engage in one of more research projects, relevant to their employer and aligned to a central thesis.
The required taught component uses courses at SCQF level 11 with 120 credits in total. The students on the proposed EngD in Construction programme will have the option to choose from a number of relevant courses currently available to cater for their individual needs and career aspirations.
- Year 1: 60 credits (4 x SCQF Level 11 Courses), Progress Report on Research project(s);
- Year 2: 60 credits (4 x SCQF Level 11 Courses), Progress Report on Research Project(s)
- Year 3: Progress Report on research project(s)
- Year 4: EngD. Thesis or Portfolio;
A list of the current courses is summarized below.
- Sustainability for Construction Professionals
- Foundation Engineering
- Water and Wastewater Treatment
- Strategic Asset maintenance management
- Quantity Surveying Financial Management
- Construction Financial Management
- People and Organization Management in the BE
- Project Management Strategic Issues
- Project Management Theory and Practice
- Space Planning and Management
- Real Estate Appraisal and Valuation
- Environmental Hydrology and Water Resources
- Construction Technology
- Urban Economy and Property Markets
- Contracts and Procurement
- Service Procurement and Provision
- Value and Risk Management
- Macroeconomics Finance and BE
- Design and Analysis of Tall Steel Buildings
- Water Supply System Analysis
- Construction Practice and Information Technology
- Spatial Planning
- Research Dissertation
In addition, students registered will attend workshops and seminars for the PhD cohort, and specialist seminars geared towards business development and entrepreneurship.
This programme will admit graduates from degrees relevant to the construction engineering and management. The EngD qualification at Dubai will cater for potential candidates who are currently embedded in industry, or to facilitate knowledge transfer from Heriot-Watt to industry with a new recruit.
If you have any questions about the application process, contact Dr. Yasemin Nielsen (email@example.com).
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction during previous education, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.5. Other qualifications may also be considered.
Fees and funding
207,900 AED (covers full four year EngD)*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT.
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.