- Delivery type
- Weekday evenings and Saturday
- 4 years
- Intake date
- Open enrolment
The Engineering Doctorate (EngD) in Construction is an alternative to the traditional PhD to help you continue your career in industry.
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
+971 4 571 7000
The EngD is equivalent to a PhD in its intellectual challenge, but as a research engineer (EngD) student, your research will be industry-led and your project will involve your company as an industrial sponsor. This provides an unparalleled opportunity to gain experience working at the cutting-edge of research that is relevant to industry.
You will gain an in-depth understanding of the fundamentals of construction engineering management with the flexibility to tailor the technical and business training to the requirements of the company’s research area and your career aspirations.
The Engineering Doctorate (EngD) in Construction combines advanced technical and management training with PhD level research in partnership with an industry partner/sponsor. Research projects will be directly relevant to the strategic plans of your industry partner and cover a wide range of topics in the interrelated, and globally critical areas of construction and engineering.
EngD in Construction graduates will have generated new knowledge or improved business practice in areas of the construction sector relevant to their and their employers' interests and priorities. Research engineers undertaking the programme will have flexibility to tailor the technical and business management training to the requirements of their research area and to the business needs of their employer.
EngD students will benefit from the expertise and supervision of the academic staff and their industry sponsor. Research projects will be developed collaboratively by the academic supervisors and the research student in consultation with the sponsoring company. Sponsoring companies can range in size from SMEs to University spin-outs to multinational organisations.
The Dubai Campus is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) and fully licensed to teach its degrees in Dubai. All graduates receive a British degree that is accredited by Royal Charter in the UK.
The EngD is a four-year course and you would spend, on average, 80% of your time in industry and 20% at the University. The first two years will include taught courses delivered in the evenings for convenience in advanced technical areas relating to their research, combined with appropriate commercial skills training. In these early years the critical research skills will be developed through taught courses and research project work. Year’s three to four are wholly spent conducting applied research, with the opportunity to gain valuable industry and commercial experience with the sponsoring company and an ongoing programme of commercial skills development.
In the first two years of the EngD in Construction the student would complete the equivalent of a part-time PGDip or MSc. Throughout the 4 years of study, the student will engage in one of more research projects, relevant to their employer and aligned to a central thesis.
The required taught component uses courses at SCQF level 11 with 120 credits in total. The students on the proposed EngD in Construction programme will have the option to choose from a number of relevant courses currently available to cater for their individual needs and career aspirations.
- Year 1: 60 credits (4 x SCQF Level 11 Courses), Progress Report on Research project(s);
- Year 2: 60 credits (4 x SCQF Level 11 Courses), Progress Report on Research Project(s)
- Year 3: Progress Report on research project(s)
- Year 4: EngD. Thesis or Portfolio;
A list of the current courses is summarized below.
- D11ST- Sustainability for Construction Professionals
- D31CF- Quantity Surveying Financial Management
- D31PT- Project Management Theory and Practice
- D31VR-Value and Risk Management
- D41VC- Real Estate Appraisal and Valuation
- D21EH- Environmental Hydrology & Water Resources
- D31AT - Advanced Construction Technology
- D41EP- Urban Economy and Property Markets
- D31SC- Strategic Commercial and Contracts Management
- C11DG- Digital Business Strategy: Platforms and Ecosystems
- D31SQ- Service Procurement and Provision
- D41SP- Spatial Planning
- C11BA- Business Analytics
- D21FE- Foundation Engineering
- D21WW- Water and Wastewater Treatment
- D31AM- Strategic Asset maintenance management
- D31CG- Construction Financial Management
- D31PO- People and Organization Management in the BE
- D31SM- Space Planning and Management
- D21SB- Design and Analysis of Tall Steel Buildings
- D21WA- Water Supply System Analysis
- D31MI- Construction Practice and Information Technology
- B51GI Technology Future and Business Strategy
- F21DE Digital and Knowledge Economy
- D31RZ-Research Dissertation
- D31PS- Project Management Strategic Issues
- D31RZ course is only available to students pursuing MSc exit qualification
In addition, students registered will attend workshops and seminars for the PhD cohort, and specialist seminars geared towards business development and entrepreneurship.
This programme will admit graduates from degrees relevant to the construction engineering and management. The EngD qualification at Dubai will cater for potential candidates who are currently embedded in industry, or to facilitate knowledge transfer from Heriot-Watt to industry with a new recruit.
If you have any questions about the application process, contact Dr. Yasemin Nielsen (email@example.com).
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction during previous education, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.5. Other qualifications may also be considered.
Fees and funding
- AED 56216 per year*
* All tuition fees inclusive of VAT
Scholarships and bursaries
See our range of degree entry, undergraduate, postgraduate taught and PhD scholarships and discounts.