Accounting and Finance
The Guardian University Guide 2019 rated our Accounting and Finance courses as 2nd in Scotland.
We are also a named Bloomberg experiential learning partner, a programme designed by Bloomberg to recognise universities that are leaders in experiential learning.
An understanding of accounting and finance is an essential prerequisite for a career in commerce, industry or public administration. The increasingly complex environment within which both finance and international business are conducted reinforces this need.
Operating in international markets requires an understanding of international accounting standards, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, and exchange and interest rates. The value of such studies is also recognised by professional bodies in accountancy and finance, who offer substantial examination exemptions and reduction of pre-qualifying service to approved graduates.
There is a continuing demand for graduates who have specialised in these subjects and career opportunities exist in a wide range of professional, financial, commercial and industrial areas.
- Knowledge and understanding of key principles of accounting and finance
- Firm grounding in core subjects such as accounting to prepare you for employment
- Communication and presentation skills such as group work, debates, role-playing
- Effective use of IT to find practical business solutions.
Teaching and assessment
Learning methods include:
- lectures and tutorials
- group work
- computer workshops.
Assessment is by a mixture of coursework and examination.
Professional recognition, exemptions and Bloomberg
All the major professional accountancy bodies within the UK accredit our degrees. Many of our degrees carry considerable exemptions from professional examinations.
Our partnership with Bloomberg
Heriot-Watt University is a named Bloomberg Experiential Learning Partner (ELP), a programme designed by Bloomberg to recognise universities that are leaders in experiential learning.
Our partnership with Bloomberg, and the achievement of ELP status, is a mark of our innovative approach to connecting our teaching experience with real-life practical applications. Being a Bloomberg experiential learning partner allows Heriot-Watt and Edinburgh Business School to better integrate industry-leading data, research, news and analytics into our curricula.
The Bloomberg facility at Heriot Watt University is unique in Scotland and enables students from different disciplines of business to better understand different aspects of markets, business behaviours and economic trends. It enables:
- Performance comparison between different companies or industries using: financial reports, company valuations, company news, company portfolios, key changes/trends.
- Supply chain analysis through company’s supply chain relationships that includes suppliers, customers and competitors. This enables managers to refine their supply chain configuration and strategy.
- Market share analysis by providing key industry data, interactive charting and commentary by Bloomberg industry experts. It also provides industry fundamental statistics, market share and other key industry specific metrics (i.e. retailers, airlines, global auto manufacturing, etc.)
- Strategic portfolio analysis through creating portfolios against markets and market positions, allocation of asset and performance attribution analysis.
- Accounting and Financial analysis by providing financial history of companies and indices including current and historical income statements, balance sheets, cash flow statements, ratio analysis and more.