Please indicate in section 3(f) of the UCAS application form the two main areas of study. You are not 'held' to your initial selection but it is useful in providing a starting point for the first year of your course. The subject areas indicated are within the Schools of the University and therefore further information on the course content can be found within the relevant sections throughout this online prospectus.
Subject area abbreviations
- AF- Accountancy and Finance
- AS - Actuarial Science
- BS - Biological Sciences
- Build - Building Engineering
- CE - Chemical Engineering
- C - Chemistry
- CivE - Civil Engineering
- CS Computer Science
- E - Economics
- EEE - Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- IS - Information Systems
- L - Languages
- Man - Management
- M - Mathematics
- ME - Mechanical Engineering
- P - Physics
- S - Statistics
Each student is allocated to a Director of Studies, who assists in the design of an individualised course.
Standard entry requirements
- Highers AABB (including one science at A and Mathematics at B)
- A-Levels BBC (including Mathematics and one relevant science)
- Int. Baccalaureate 31 points (including a relevant science and Mathematics at Higher Level 5)
- BTEC DDM (in a relevant subject)
- HNC A in graded unit (in a relevant HNC)
Minimum entry requirements*
- Highers BBBC (including one relevant science at B and Mathematics at B)
- A-Levels BCC (including one relevant science at B and Mathematics at C).
* Minimum: under our Fair Access Policy, we will relax our standard entry requirements for some Scottish students depending on their circumstances. Our minimum requirements will apply if you:
- live in an area within the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation lowest 20% (SIMD20), or
- are care experienced.
We can also make exceptions for some Scottish students with grades above minimum but below standard. Read more about our Minimum and standard entry requirements
Combined Studies offers an individualised degree programme, combining any university disciplines. The entrance qualifications for Level 2 entry are dependent these disciplines. Please contact us directly to discuss the details of any offer.
Combined Studies offers an individualised degree programme, combining any university disciplines. The entrance qualifications for Level 3 entry are dependent these disciplines. Please contact us directly to discuss the details of any offer.
English language requirements
- If English is not your first language, you have to show that your English is good enough to succeed on your course. Please see our English language requirements.
Tuition fees for 2020 entry (by residency status)
||Scotland / EU**
||England / Northern Ireland / Wales***
||Paid by SAAS
* Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
** European Union countries (not including England, Northern Ireland or Wales).
*** 'Rest of the UK' (RUK) students entering at Level 1 receive a fee waiver of one year's tuition fee. Normally this will be the final year, or a year during which students study abroad (either at a partnership institution, or at one of Heriot-Watt's overseas campuses).
You may incur additional costs in the course of your studies at Heriot-Watt over and above tuition fees in an academic year. Depending on your programme of study, these may include: protective equipment, field trips, professional memberships, studio fees, required course texts or other study resources.
Scholarships and bursaries
Bursaries for students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales starting undergraduate degree courses in 2020
In addition to government loans and grants towards the costs of fees and living costs, we are offering generous financial support to attract and support eligible students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales:
Merit Awards for international students starting undergraduate degree courses in 2020
If you are an international fee-paying, self-funded offer holder you may be eligible for:
View our full range of undergraduate scholarships.