This specialism is part of MChem Chemistry
This degree specialism is attractive to students looking to combine their passion for both chemistry and biology, with an aim of providing students with an informed understanding of the chemistry underlying the animal and plant kingdoms.
Accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry for partially meeting the academic criteria for Chartered Chemist (CChem).
Fundamentals of Chemistry, with Mathematics and Biology courses. Lab work plays a key role in the curriculum.
Core Organic, Inorganic and Physical Chemistry, along with courses in Cell & Molecular Biology and Metabolism in Human Nutrition.
Core Inorganic, Organic and Physical Chemistry, along with Bioscience options.
Advanced Inorganic, Organic and Physical Chemistry, together with special topics in Biosciences. MChem students undertake a special practical course
An extensive 24-week Biological Chemistry research project plus specialist Chemistry courses.
Work and study
This is what our MChem Chemistry specialism: Biology students are doing 15 months after graduating:
- 45% are working
- 25% are studying
- 10% are working and studying.
In highly skilled work
- 90% of those are in highly skilled work 15 months after graduating.
- The average salary of students 15 months after graduating: £21000
- The average UK salary of students 15 months after graduating from a similar course: £24000
These are the most common high skilled jobs students go into 15 months after graduating:
- Science, engineering and technology associate professionals