This degree specialism suits students looking to combine their passion for both chemistry and biology. It aims to provide students with an informed understanding of the chemistry underlying biological systems and the natural environment.
Accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry for partially meeting the academic criteria for Chartered Chemist (CChem).
Fundamentals of Chemistry, with Mathematics and Biology courses. Lab work plays a key role in the curriculum.
Core Organic, Inorganic and Physical Chemistry, along with courses in Cell & Molecular Biology and Metabolism in Human Nutrition.
Core Inorganic, Organic and Physical Chemistry, along with Bioscience options.
Advanced Inorganic, Organic and Physical Chemistry, together with special topics. BSc students also undertake a 16-week research project in the area of Biological Chemistry.
Work and study
This is what our BSc (Hons) Chemistry specialism: Biology students are doing 15 months after graduating:
- 45% are working
- 35% are studying
- 10% are working and studying.
In highly skilled work
- 90% of those are in highly skilled work 15 months after graduating.
- The average salary of students 15 months after graduating: £21000
- The average UK salary of students 15 months after graduating from a similar course: £24000
Potential career paths
- Science, engineering and technology associate professionals
This specialism is part of BSc (Hons) Chemistry