Our international outlook has created a range of accountancy and finance programmes that aim to develop the skills required by the increasingly complex global accounting environment and achieve a successful career in the banking or finance divisions of national and international corporations.
We are also a named Bloomberg experiential learning partner, a programme designed by Bloomberg to recognise universities that are leaders in experiential learning.
Along with a thorough understanding of finance theory and practice, you will develop crucial transferable skills, particularly in analytical techniques, communication and teamwork, which are highly relevant to employment across the financial sector. There are also opportunities to develop project management and strategy skills through our flexible programmes of study.
Underpinning our finance programmes is the leading work of our Centre for Finance and Investment (CFI) which is at the forefront of research and practice in finance and investment management. Its expertise is particularly focused on financial markets and corporate finance. It aims to facilitate close working relationships with the financial services industry, stimulate debate, and share knowledge on topical issues in the sector.
Our partnership with Bloomberg
Heriot-Watt University is a named Bloomberg Experiential Learning Partner (ELP), a programme designed by Bloomberg to recognise universities that are leaders in experiential learning.
Our partnership with Bloomberg, and the achievement of ELP status, is a mark of our innovative approach to connecting our teaching experience with real-life practical applications. Being a Bloomberg experiential learning partner allows Heriot-Watt and Edinburgh Business School to better integrate industry-leading data, research, news and analytics into our curricula.
The Bloomberg facility at Heriot Watt University is unique in Scotland and enables students from different disciplines of business to better understand different aspects of markets, business behaviours and economic trends. It enables:
- Performance comparison between different companies or industries using: financial reports, company valuations, company news, company portfolios, key changes/trends.
- Supply chain analysis through company’s supply chain relationships that includes suppliers, customers and competitors. This enables managers to refine their supply chain configuration and strategy.
- Market share analysis by providing key industry data, interactive charting and commentary by Bloomberg industry experts. It also provides industry fundamental statistics, market share and other key industry specific metrics (i.e. retailers, airlines, global auto manufacturing, etc.)
- Strategic portfolio analysis through creating portfolios against markets and market positions, allocation of asset and performance attribution analysis.
- Accounting and Financial analysis by providing financial history of companies and indices including current and historical income statements, balance sheets, cash flow statements, ratio analysis and more.