Economics at Heriot-Watt focuses on key current issues, such as energy and the environment, which reflects our expertise in econometrics, development, macro and monetary economics.
We are also a named Bloomberg experiential learning partner, a programme designed by Bloomberg to recognise universities that are leaders in experiential learning.
We have designed our programmes in the subject to help you access a range of professions and managerial careers.
Heriot-Watt is one of eight universities participating in the Scottish Graduate Programme in Economics (SGPE), a collaborative MSc programme that provides a thorough grounding in modern economic analysis and the option of three years of further study towards a PhD at any of the participating SGPE universities.
Our programmes are underpinned by our leading research expertise in key areas of economics.
Our partnership with Bloomberg
Heriot-Watt University is a named Bloomberg Experiential Learning Partner (ELP), a programme designed by Bloomberg to recognise universities that are leaders in experiential learning.
Our partnership with Bloomberg, and the achievement of ELP status, is a mark of our innovative approach to connecting our teaching experience with real-life practical applications. Being a Bloomberg experiential learning partner allows Heriot-Watt and Edinburgh Business School to better integrate industry-leading data, research, news and analytics into our curricula.
The Bloomberg facility at Heriot Watt University is unique in Scotland and enables students from different disciplines of business to better understand different aspects of markets, business behaviours and economic trends. It enables:
- Performance comparison between different companies or industries using: financial reports, company valuations, company news, company portfolios, key changes/trends.
- Supply chain analysis through company’s supply chain relationships that includes suppliers, customers and competitors. This enables managers to refine their supply chain configuration and strategy.
- Market share analysis by providing key industry data, interactive charting and commentary by Bloomberg industry experts. It also provides industry fundamental statistics, market share and other key industry specific metrics (i.e. retailers, airlines, global auto manufacturing, etc.)
- Strategic portfolio analysis through creating portfolios against markets and market positions, allocation of asset and performance attribution analysis.
- Accounting and Financial analysis by providing financial history of companies and indices including current and historical income statements, balance sheets, cash flow statements, ratio analysis and more.