EUMASLI is an innovative international master study programme that is intended to contribute to the development of the professional field of interpreting between deaf and hearing people in Europe. It aims to prepare participants for research, development, and management functions in their respective countries.
EUMASLI's strength lies in its international outlook and in its collaborative spirit. Organised and delivered by Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences (Germany), Humak University of Applied Sciences (Finland) and Heriot-Watt University (Scotland), the programme brings together teachers and students from around the world in a joint effort to move the field of sign language interpreting forward. It affords scope for individual development and encourages cooperation across geographical, cultural and conceptual borders.
Over the study period of 2.5 years, students travel to participate in block-seminars at all partner universities and engage in online activities and self-study.
The duration of the EUMALSI programme is 2.5 years
The programme focuses on three main areas:
- international skills and interpreting in international settings
- management and development of the profession
- doing research
|Sem 1||Sem 2||Sem 3||Sem 4||Sem 5|
|Similarity and diversity in European sign languages||Introducing International Sign||Translating between English and International Sign||Interpreting between English and International Sign||Thesis|
|Similarity and diversity in European Deaf communities||Interpreting and Translation Studies||Developing the profession||Research methods: Sign language interpreting and translation as profession & performance|
|Personal development and academic skills|
For more information on individual modules please visit the EUMASLI website
- First academic degree: preferably but not necessarily in sign language interpreting or related subjects.
- Minimum of three year's work experience as a practising professional sign language interpreter by the time of admission to the programme.
- English language equivalent to level 6.5 of the International English Language Testing System, IELTS, corresponding to level B2 of the Common European Framework of Languages.
While the programme is not specifically designed for Deaf interpreters, we welcome applications by Deaf people who fulfil the general requirements.
English language requirements
Appropriate English language to fully participate in the programme (equivalent to level 6.5 of the International English Language Testing System, IELTS, corresponding to level B2 of the Common European Framework of Languages)
- Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
- Overseas includes applications from European Union countries who do not hold Pre-Settled or Settled status in the UK. Read more about the application process for EU nationals.
Additional fees information
Due to national legislation and university regulations it has not been possible to harmonise the fee situation for students on the EUMASLI programme. The situation regarding tuition fees varies depending on the university with which students enrol.
- Heriot-Watt University: £1588 for students from Scotland (per semester); £1875 for England, Northern Ireland or Wales students (per semester); £3375 for Overseas students (per semester).
- Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences: 1000 € for the study programme per semester plus a general university fee of 63 € per semester (for all students).
- Humak University of Applied Sciences: no fees (all students)
In addition to the fees, students are expected to finance travel to and accommodation during block-seminars and other events themselves. Please note that we are not able to provide interpreting services into the various sign languages used by Deaf participants. We appreciate that participation in EUMASLI is a considerable financial commitment, and we aim to minimise costs where possible.
Scholarships and bursaries
We aim to encourage well-qualified, ambitious students to study with us and we offer a wide variety of scholarships and bursaries to achieve this. Over £6 million worth of opportunities are available in fee and stipend scholarships, and more than 400 students benefit from this support.
View our full range of postgraduate scholarships.