MSc International Master in Industrial Management (IMIM)
- Course type
- Entry date
International Master in Industrial Management (IMIM) is a unique multi-site masters taught over 24 months by leading universities in the area of industrial management. An MSc which can be studied in Scotland, Spain, China, UAE, Mexico and Italy.
The International Master in Industrial Management (IMIM) is a unique multi-site masters programme offered through a strategic partnership of leading universities in the area of industrial management.
This 24-month programme is studied at Heriot-Watt University (HWU) Edinburgh for Semester 1, then Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM) for Semester 2, then your choice of Politecnico di Torino, Northwestern Polytechnical University of Xi’an, Tecnológico de Monterrey, or Heriot-Watt Dubai for Semester 3.
Semester 4, the Master Thesis, can be studied 'anywhere in the world' at a university with links to the IMIM Consortium or other industrial or public organisations - it is organised for you as part of the programme and gives you the opportunity to put your learning into practice.
The overall aim of the program is to provide students from a scientific or engineering-based background with business skills relevant for pursuing managerial careers in internationally orientated manufacturing and service industries.
Following completion of this degree, you will be able to design and manage complex organisations and industrial endeavours, in particular those where technology plays a key role. You will be able to diagnose problematic situations in those organisations and then conceive, and put into practice, alternative solutions and processes of continuous improvement.
We have designed this degree to address the challenges of globalisation in an increasingly digital world. We've created a program structure that offers a coherent but also diverse set of pathways beginning with the principles of management in today’s world through to the value chain and the operations within it. In addition, you are able to specialise in one of three key fields of management – innovation in industry and services; technology and entrepreneurship; or the challenge of execution.
Another key feature of the program is its integrative teaching approach aimed at developing the ability of students to tackle managerial issues in an interdisciplinary manner. The fourth semester is entirely devoted to industry-related project work in close collaboration with companies, forming the basis for a master thesis to be submitted towards the end of the semester.
The international education of IMIM students is a valuable asset to be spent in global companies and makes it easier for our graduates to find a job in one of the 27 EU Member Countries, or outside Europe in companies linked with Europe. IMIM alumni are developing their careers in different functional roles, different industries and different geographical locations.
Successful candidates will achieve both an MSc in Industrial Management (International) from Heriot Watt University and an International Master in Industrial Management from Universidad Politécnica de Madrid.
September 2022 entry
The deadline for applications from Scottish and RUK students is 31 August 2022. For EU and overseas applicants, we guarantee to consider applications submitted by 8 August 2022.
IMIM is a 24-month postgraduate programme and commences in September each year.
Semester 1: Principles of Management I is held in Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh and focuses on Projects and Operations in an Evolving Industrial Revolution.
Semester 2: Principles of Management II is held at Universidad Politécnica de Madrid and focuses on Strategy, Resources and Data in an Increasingly Digital World.
Semester 3: students have a choice of further specialising in their studies through selecting one of four options;
- Challenges for Managing Logistics and Supply Chain in Global Business Environments is held at Heriot-Watt University in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Doing Business with/on China held at NPU in Xi’an, China
- Engineering and Finance held at Politecnico di Torino, Italy
- Innovation / Data Science held in Ciudad de Mexico / Monterrey / Guadalajara in Mexico.
Semester 4: Master Thesis can be undertaken from anywhere in the world under the direction of one of the partner Universities.
For more information, please visit this programme's dedicated website:
Semester 1 (Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh)
- Strategic Project Management
- Operations Management
- Measuring and Managing Performance
Plus one optional course from:
- Fundamentals of Lean Six Sigma
- Work, Culture and Organisations
- Business Analytics and Introduction to big data
Semester 2 (UPM, Madrid)
- Strategic Analysis of Business Decisions
- Statistics and Data Analytics: from Big Data to Good Decisions
- Complexity and Networks: Business in an Interconnected World
- Industrial and International Marketing
- SME Management
- Financial and Managerial Accounting
- Capital Markets and Corporate Finance
- Research Methods
Semester 3 - Choose your preferred location
Heriot-Watt University Dubai
- Global Purchasing and Supply
- Strategies for Managing Supply Chains
- Supply Chain Risk and Adaptation
- Freight Transport and Warehouse Management
Politécnico de Monterrey - Mexico
Two optional courses from:
- Engineering Project Management
• Leadership for Sustainable Development
• Statistical Methods and Visualisation
• Analysis and Data Mining for Decision-Making
• Labs Design and Analysis of Experiments
• Innovation and Product Development / Business Innovation Project I
• Financial Analysis for Innovation and Technology Projects / Business Innovation Project II
Two optional courses from:
- Corporate Governance and Finance
• Financial Engineering
- Project Management
• Quality Engineering
A selection of optional courses from:
• Chinese Language I
• Brief Introduction of China
• Applied Statistics I
• Operational Research
• Production and Operations Management
• Engineering Economy
• Data Analysis, Modelling and Decision Making
• Management Research Methodology
Semester 4: Master Thesis
- Curriculum vitae (Europass CV Format)
- Bachelor degree or recognised equivalent from an accredited institution (minimum 3 years full-time study) in a scientific or technical discipline, including management engineering courses
English language requirements
High proficiency in the English language as evidenced by one of the below (current*)
- TOEFL IBT (minimum score: 90)
- IETLS (minimum score: 6.5, no areas lower than 6.0)
- Cambridge New (minimum score: 176-184)
- Cambridge Old (minimum score: CAE -grade C)
- Duolingo English Test
- IELTS Indicator
- TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition
* English certificate needs to be dated within 2 years of the start date of the studies, so if a candidate is starting in September 2020 the oldest we could accept would be September January 2018.
If you have completed undergraduate or postgraduate studies at university within two years with English as the language of instruction, then we may also be able to accept this as evidence of your English proficiency.
Please contact the IMIM admissions team with details of your English proficiency for further information.
- Recent GMAT or GRE scores (optional)
- Recommendation Letter
- Motivation Letter
- Digital Picture
Fees for this course can be found on the tuition fees page.
Additional fees information
The link above take you to the tuition fees pages on the dedicated website for this programme.