Skip to section
- Mode of delivery
- Delivery type
- Start date
- 1 year
International Master in Industrial Management (IMIM) is a unique multi-site masters taught over 24 months by leading universities in the area of industrial management. An MSc which can be studied in Scotland, Spain, China, UAE, Mexico and Italy.
The International Master in Industrial Management (IMIM) is a unique multisite Masters programme offered through a strategic partnership of leading universities in the area of industrial management.
This 24-month programme starts at Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM) for Semester 1, followed by Semester 2 at Heriot-Watt University (HWU) in Edinburgh, then your choice of Heriot-Watt Dubai (United Arab Emirates), Politecnico di Torino (Italy), Northwestern Polytechnical University of Xi'an (China) or Tecnológico de Monterrey (Mexico) for Semester 3.
Semester 4, the Master Thesis, can be studied 'anywhere in the world' at a university with links to the IMIM Consortium or other industrial or public organisations - it is organised for you as part of the programme and gives you the opportunity to put your learning into practice.
The overall aim of the program is to equip students with a science or engineering educational backgrounds with business skills relevant for pursuing managerial careers in internationally orientated manufacturing and service industries.
After the programme completion, you will be able to grasp the complexities of industrial organising and leadership. You will be able to analyse, diagnose, propose, develop and implement solutions to a range of inefficiencies in complex organisational settings. The programme will introduce you to a range of latest tools and techniques that can be applied in most types of organisations. The program structure offers both diverse and coherent set of pathways beginning with the principles of management in today's world through to the value chain and the operations within it. In addition, you are able to specialise in one of three key fields of management – innovation in industry and services; technology and entrepreneurship; or the challenges of projects execution.
Another key feature of the program is its integrative teaching approach aimed at developing the ability of students to tackle managerial issues in an interdisciplinary manner. The fourth semester is entirely devoted to industry-related project work in close collaboration with companies, forming the basis for a master thesis to be submitted towards the end of the semester.
The international education of IMIM students is a valuable asset to be spent in global companies and makes it easier for our graduates to find a job in one of the 27 EU Member Countries, or outside Europe in companies linked with Europe. IMIM alumni are developing their careers in different functional roles, different industries and different geographical locations.
Successful candidates will receive both an MSc in Industrial Management (International) from Heriot Watt University and an International Master in Industrial Management from Universidad Politécnica de Madrid.
For further information, please visit Master IMIM
September 2024 entry
The deadline for applications from UK students is 30 August 2024. For EU and overseas applicants, we guarantee to consider applications submitted by 2 August 2024.
IMIM is a 24-month postgraduate programme and commences in September each year.
Semester 1: Principles of Management I is held in Universidad Politécnica de Madrid and focuses on Strategy, Resources and Data in an Increasingly Digital World.
Semester 2: Principles of Management II is held at Heriot-Watt University and covers Managing Projects and Enterprise.
Semester 3: students have a choice of further specialising in their studies through selecting one of four options;
- Challenges for Managing Logistics and Supply Chain in Global Business Environments is held at Heriot-Watt University in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Doing Business with/on China held at NPU in Xi'an, China
- Engineering and Finance held at Politecnico di Torino, Italy
- Innovation / Data Science held in Ciudad de Mexico / Monterrey / Guadalajara in Mexico.
Semester 4: Master Thesis can be undertaken from anywhere in the world under the direction of one of the partner Universities.
For more information, please visit this programme's dedicated website:
Semester 1 (Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Madrid, Spain)
- Strategic Thinking
- Data Analysis for Management
- Advanced Analytics for Decision-making
- Industrial Marketing
- Technology-based Entrepreneurship
- Accounting and Corporate Finance
- Industrial Dynamics and Sustainability Transactions
- Business Skills
Semester 2 (Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh)
- Systems Thinking and Analysis
- Project Management
And two options from:
- Managing Diversity in Business
- Green and Sustainable Logistics
- Social Media Marketing
- Branding and Communications
- Research Philosophy and Practice
Semester 3 - Choose your preferred location
Heriot-Watt University, Dubai (UAE)
- Operations Management
- Strategies for Managing Supply Chains
- Supply Chain Risk and Adaptation
- Freight Transport and Warehouse Management
Tecnológico de Monterrey (ITESM) - Mexico
- Engineering Project Management
- Leadership for Sustainable Development
- Lean Systems, Analysis and Design
- Business Innovation Project I
- Innovation and Product Development
Politecnico di Torino, Italy
- Corporate Governance and Finance
- Quality Engineering
- Information Systems
Heriot-Watt University, Malaysia
A selection of optional courses from:
- International Business Context
- Strategic Change
- Introduction of Human Factors
- Coaching Psychology
- Organisational Culture
- Social and Organisational Change
Semester 4: Master Thesis
Fees and funding
Additional fee information
Tuition fees for this MSc International Master in Industrial Management can be found on the programme website.
- Curriculum vitae (Europass CV Format)
- Bachelor degree or recognised equivalent from an accredited institution (minimum 3 years full-time study) in a scientific or technical discipline, including management engineering courses
English language requirements
High proficiency in the English language as evidenced by one of the below (current*)
- TOEFL IBT (minimum score: 90)
- IETLS (minimum score: 6.5, no areas lower than 6.0)
- Cambridge New (minimum score: 176-184)
- Cambridge Old (minimum score: CAE -grade C)
- Duolingo English Test
- IELTS Indicator
- TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition
* English certificate needs to be dated within 2 years of the start date of the studies, so if a candidate is starting in September 2022 the oldest we could accept would be September 2020.
If you have completed undergraduate or postgraduate studies at university within two years with English as the language of instruction, then we may also be able to accept this as evidence of your English proficiency.
Please contact the IMIM admissions team with details of your English proficiency for further information.
- Recent GMAT or GRE scores (optional)
- Recommendation Letter
- Motivation Letter
- Digital Picture
At Heriot-Watt we have an extensive programme of over 90 sports clubs and societies to get involved in. You can try as many as you like or start one of your own!
Living on our beautiful Edinburgh campus is a great way to meet others from all over the world. Our student accommodation is within easy reach of the teaching buildings, sports facilities, catering venues and the Student Union
At Heriot-Watt University, we offer a wide range of services to help you deal with all aspects of your life with us, whether these be academic, personal, technical, financial or just plain fun!
Student Wellbeing Services aim to provide a range of support, guidance, activities and advice to help students to be their best, and get the most from their university experience. From counselling to coaching we'll sure you are fully supported.
There's more to university life than simply getting your degree, and Heriot-Watt University Student Union is all about helping you to have the best possible experience while you study here.
Historic and beautiful, a cultural capital that fuels the senses whether you love the arts or nature, nightlife or study life, Edinburgh is stimulating and inspirational and never, ever boring.
Oriam, Scotland Sports Performance Centre offers state-of-the-art sports facilities, for all levels of sport and ability
Employers around the world actively seek out our graduates because they are work-ready. All our degrees are career-focused and relevant to the needs of industry. Around 95% of our students are in employment or further study within six months of graduating.