- Course type
- Entry date
International Master in Industrial Management (IMIM) is a unique multi-site masters programme taught over 24-months by leading universities in the area of industrial management. A masters degree which can be studied in Edinburgh, Madrid, Munich and Dubai.
The International Master in Industrial Management (IMIM) is a unique multi-site masters programme offered through a strategic partnership of leading universities in the area of industrial management.
This 24-month programme is studied at Heriot-Watt University Edinburgh for Semester 1, then UPM Madrid for Semester 2, then your choice of UPM Madrid, TUM Munich, or Heriot-Watt Dubai for Semester 3.
Semester 4, the Master Thesis, can be studied 'anywhere in the world' at a university with links to the IMIM Consortium or other industrial or public organisations - it is organised for you as part of the programme and gives you the opportunity to put your learning into practice.
The programme is designed to provide individuals with scientific or engineering based educational backgrounds with essential business and managerial skills. It covers a broad range of managerial topics and gradually deepens the students’ knowledge.
Following completion of this programme, graduates will be able to design and manage complex organisations and industrial endeavours, in particular those in which the technology plays a relevant role. They will be able to diagnose problematic situations in those organisations and then conceive, and put into practice, alternative solutions and processes of continuous improvement.
In other words, the education of the would-be industrial manager of today must acknowledge that their professional work will include the design, implementation, operation and management of organisations of all kinds - manufacturing and production systems among them - within a new context, unlike what has been the norm along the second industrial revolution of this century.
Successful candidates will achieve both an MSc in Industrial Management (International) from Heriot Watt University and an International Master in Industrial Management from Universidad Politecnica de Madrid.
IMIM is a 24-month postgraduate programme and commences in September each year.
Semester 1: Principles of Management I is held in Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh and focuses on Projects and Operations in an Evolving Industrial Revolution.
Semester 2: Principles of Management II is held at Universidad Politecnica de Madrid and focuses on Strategy, Resources and Data in and Increasingly Digital World
Semester 3: students have a choice of further specialising in their studies through selecting one of three options;
- Entrepreneurship and Technology Management is held at the Technical University of Munich in Germany
- Industry 4.0: Technological Foundations and Organisational Challenges is held at the Universidad Politecnica in Madrid
- Challenges for Managing Logistics and Supply Chain in Global Business Environments is held at Heriot-Watt University in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Semester 4: Master Thesis can be undertaken from anywhere in the world under the direction of one of the partner Universities.
For more information, please visit this programme's dedicated website:
Semester 1 (Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh)
- Strategic Project Management
- Operations Management
- Measuring and Managing Performance
Plus one optional course from:
- Fundamentals of Lean Six Sigma
- Work, Culture and Organisations
- Business Analytics and Introduction to big data
Semester 2 (UPM, Madrid)
- Strategic Analysis of Business Decisions
- Statistics and Data Analytics: from Big Data to Good Decisions
- Complexity and Networks: Business in an Interconnected World
- Industrial and International Marketing
- SME Management
- Financial and Managerial Accounting
- Capital Markets and Corporate Finance
- Research Methods
Semester 3 - Choose your preferred location
Technical University of Munich - Munich, Germany
- Global Entrepreneurship
- Business Plan Basic Course
- Empirical Research in Management and Economics
Optional courses include: Private Equity, Advanced Seminar Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Strategic Entrepreneurship, Advanced Seminar Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Ideation and Venture Creation, Advanced Seminar Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Venture Growth and Internalization: Start-up stakeholder management and resource acquisition, Advanced Topics in Innovation and Entrepreneurship: What’s New about New Forms of Organizing?, Project Studies.
Universidad Politecnica de Madrid - Madrid, Spain
- Industry 4.0: Digitalization and Innovation for Smartness in Industries
- Integrative Technologies and Organizational Approaches for Industry 4.0
- Emergent Technologies for Industry 4.0
- Data and Decisions in the Industrial Setting
Heriot-Watt University, Dubai
- Global Purchasing and Supply
- Strategies for Managing Supply Chains
- Supply Chain Risk and Adaptation
- Freight Transport and Warehouse Management
Semester 4: Master Thesis
- Curriculum vitae (Europass CV Format)
- Bachelor degree or recognized equivalent from an accredited institution (minimum 3 years full time study) in a scientific or technical discipline (e.g. candidates with a background in Economics are not eligible.
English language requirements
High proficiency in the English language as evidenced by one of the below (current*)
- TOEFL IBT (minimum score: 90)
- IETLS (minimum score: 6.5)
- Cambridge New (minimum score: 176-184)
- Cambridge Old (minimum score: CAE -grade C)
* English certificate needs to be dated within 2 years of the start date of the studies, so if a candidate is starting in September 2019 the oldest we could accept would be September 2017.
- Recent GMAT or GRE scores (optional)
- Recommendation Letter
- Motivation Letter
- Digital Picture
Fees for this course can be found on the tuition fees page.
Additional fees information
The link above take you to the tuition fees pages on the dedicated website for this programme.