MSc Intercultural Business Communication
Chat with an academic online
We are running a series of 'Chat with an academic' sessions. Each session is subject specific and runs between 11 January and 5 May 2023. Find the session of interest to you and book your place.
September 2023 entry
The deadline for applications from Scottish and RUK students is 31st August 2023. For EU and overseas applicants, we guarantee to consider applications submitted by 1st August 2023.
MSc Intercultural Business Communication
MSc Intercultural Business Communication develops skills that will allow you to communicate and work with people from all around the world.
This degree develops intercultural business skills which are increasingly required by businesses and organisations with globalised workplaces and international stakeholders.
Throughout this Masters degree, you will learn about key issues related to culture, society, and communication, and apply your understanding to authentic business contexts with a strong emphasis on practical intercultural business communication skills.
You will be taught and assessed entirely in English, which makes it suitable for those who would like to adapt their English language skills for a professional context and develop understanding of intercultural issues in international business.
Professional communication skills
MSc Intercultural Business Communication will give you the opportunity to study culture and communication in an academic setting and apply your learning directly to intercultural business contexts, relevant to international organisations and teams.
Embedded in Heriot-Watt University's highly respected Department of Languages and Intercultural Studies, this programme develops advanced corporate communications skills alongside a broad range of professional transferable skills, so you will be ready to thrive in dynamic workplaces where the ability to communicate, summarise and present information is extremely important
You will learn alongside students from all over the world and find yourself working in multicultural teams to apply your learning in real time. As a result, you will be uniquely prepared for a career in international business and global leadership by the time you graduate.
Informed by the Intercultural Research Centre
The Intercultural Research Centre (IRC) at Heriot-Watt University conducts research which addresses key intercultural issues arising from the changing global context. Through its work, it aims to:
- build understanding of interactions between cultures on a wide variety of levels, including sub-cultures, gender cultures and linguistic cultures
- develop appreciation of the experiences and discursive representations of living with, or between, different cultures, identities, communities, or languages
The key research themes for the IRC for 2020 – 2025 are:
- Heritage and Sustainability
- Popular Culture and Inclusion
The work the IRC carries out helps to inform the courses on MSc Intercultural Business Communication by providing the latest insights into intercultural studies and their main research themes.
- Business Communication
- Intercultural Communication in the Workplace
- Comparative Social and Cultural Issues
- Organisational Culture
- Research Methods
- Business Communication 2: Communicating with External Audiences
- Global Englishes in the Workplace
- Psychology of Leadership
Dissertation research project in International Business Communication.
Good (first or second class) Honours degree, or its non-UK equivalent, from a recognised British or overseas university.
Applicants with a degree in a directly related area and/or relevant professional experience and language background should contact us for an informal assessment of suitability as a candidate.
- Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
- Overseas includes applications from European Union countries who do not hold Pre-Settled or Settled status in the UK. Read more about the application process for EU nationals.
Scholarships and bursaries
We aim to encourage well-qualified, ambitious students to study with us and we offer a wide variety of scholarships and bursaries to achieve this. Over £6 million worth of opportunities are available in fee and stipend scholarships, and more than 400 students benefit from this support.
View our full range of postgraduate scholarships.