+44 131 451 8250
The MSc in Computing is a two year postgraduate degree. The first year imparts the knowledge and skills needed to study the subject at masters level in the second.
This new degree is open to graduates coming from any discipline. They will start by learning the art of software engineering, study some key computing topics and develop relevant research and technical English skills that prepare them for advanced study of computer science in the following year.
At the end of Year 1 students may progress to Year 2 or graduate instead with a Graduate Diploma in Computer Science.
The two year MSc in Computing is a full-time postgraduate programme comprising two stages in two successive years.
4 courses are taken in each of 2 semesters in year 1 and normally include all core courses.
- Advanced Software Engineering
- Research Preparation in English I
- Research Preparation in English II
- Software Engineering Foundations
- Advanced Interaction Design
- Artificial Intelligence and Intelligent Agents
- Data Communications and Networking
- Databases and Information Systems
- Information Technology Master Class
- Network Applications
- Operating Systems and Concurrency
4 courses are taken in each of 2 semesters in year 2 and normally include all core courses.
- Computer Network Security
- Industrial Programming
- Project Management
- Research Methods and Project Planning
- 3D Graphics and Animation
- Advanced Interaction Design
- Advanced Network Security
- Big Data Management
- Biologically Inspired Computation
- Computer Games Programming
- Intelligent Robotics
After semester 2, students continue full-time on the MSc project from May until August. It is assessed by a 15000 word dissertation on a challenging practical problem in this subject area.
Further details of these courses are available here.
Admission requires a good honours or ordinary degree of 3 years duration, numeracy and some prior ability at programming
This programme is designed for students with a non-Computer Science background who would benefit from a foundational year to help them to make a successful transition into Computing, and therefore students will only be recruited into Year 1 of this programme. There is no direct entry into Year 2 of this programme.
English language requirements
Important: If your first language is not English, or your first degree was not taught in English, we’ll need to see evidence of your English language ability.
The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 6.5 (with no component under 5.5).
- If you are unsure which residency status category you fall in to, you should complete a fee status enquiry form, which allows us to assess your fees.
- Overseas includes applications from European Union countries who do not hold Pre-Settled or Settled status in the UK. Read more about the application process for EU nationals.
Additional fees information
Please note that fees are payable for each year of this two year MSc.
Scholarships and bursaries
We aim to encourage well-qualified, ambitious students to study with us and we offer a wide variety of scholarships and bursaries to achieve this. Over £6 million worth of opportunities are available in fee and stipend scholarships, and more than 400 students benefit from this support.
View our full range of postgraduate scholarships.