MSc Applied Mathematical Sciences
Chat with an academic online
We are running a series of 'Chat with an academic' sessions. Each session is subject specific and runs between 11 January and 5 May 2023. Find the session of interest to you and book your place.
This is one of the few dedicated Applied Mathematics MSc programmes in the UK. For over 40 years Heriot-Watt has been exceptionally strong in Applied Mathematics and we have world-leading researchers in many related areas and very good links with industry.
Our flexible programme is designed to equip students with the modern, transferrable mathematical and statistical skills to prepare them for careers in industry and research.
Students will gain a solid, theoretical and practical foundation through a diverse range of taught courses and applications oriented projects.
Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES) 2018/19 Results
The Mathematics Department are incredibly proud to have been awarded a score of 100% in overall student satisfaction with the quality of the course; across all of our specialist Mathematics programmes.
- MSc: 12 months
- Diploma: 9 months
Also available part-time over 2 to 3 years.
September 2023 entry
The deadline for applications from UK students is 31 August 2023. For EU and overseas applicants, we guarantee to consider applications submitted by 1 August 2023.
Students will take a total of 8 courses, 4 in each of the 1st and 2nd Semesters followed by a 3-month Project in the summer. A typical distribution for this programme is as follows:
- Modelling and Tools
- Stochastic Simulation
- Applied Linear Algebra
- Mathematical Biology and Medicine
- Partial Differential Equations
- Numerical Analysis of PDEs
- Bayesian Inference
- Data Assimilation with Applications to Climate Change
- Statistical Methods
- Mathematical Ecology
- Functional Analysis
- Numerical Analysis of ODEs
- Applied Mathematics E (Thermodynamics or Fluids)
Typical project subjects:
- Pattern Formation of Whole Ecosystems;
- Climate Change Impact;
- Modelling Invasive Tumour Growth;
- Simulation of Granular Flow and Growing Sandpiles;
- Finite Element Discretisation of ODEs and PDEs;
- Domain Decomposition;
- Mathematical Modelling of Crime;
- The Geometry of Point Particles;
- Can we Trust Eigenvalues on a Computer?
Entry is aimed at graduates with strong mathematical knowledge and skills. A good honours degree in mathematics, statistics or a related subject with a substantial mathematical content is desired. Motivation and a willingness to work hard are also important pre-requisites.
English language requirements
Important: If your first language is not English, or your first degree was not taught in English, we'll need to see evidence of your English language ability.
The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 6.5, we also accept TOEFL (scores of 79 and higher).
We offer a range of English language courses to help you meet the English language requirement prior to starting your masters programme:
- 20 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.0 with no skill lower than 4.5)
- 14 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.0 with minimum of 5.0 in writing and no skill lower than 4.5)
- 10 weeks English (for IELTS of 5.5 with no skill lower than 5.0)
- 6 weeks English (for IELTS 5.5 with no skill lower than 5.5)
- Your residency 'status' is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.
- Fee per course (module). Refer to the Course Content to see how many courses comprise the full programme.
- Overseas includes applications from European Union countries who do not hold Pre-Settled or Settled status in the UK. Read more about the application process for EU nationals.
Scholarships and bursaries
We aim to encourage well-qualified, ambitious students to study with us and we offer a wide variety of scholarships and bursaries to achieve this. Over £6 million worth of opportunities are available in fee and stipend scholarships, and more than 400 students benefit from this support.
View our full range of postgraduate scholarships.