What is a complaint?

A complaint is any expression of dissatisfaction about action, or lack of action, taken by the University, or about the standard of service provided by the University, or by others on behalf of the University.

How should a complaint be raised?

You can raise a complaint in person, by phone, in writing or via email.

You can also complete the University complaints form which will help to ensure that all aspects of your complaint are clearly understood by the University.

Complaints forms

Stage 1 is when the complaint is straightforward and it is envisaged that a quick resolution can be achieved - Stage 1 complaints form

Stage 2 is when the complaint is complex and likely to require investigation before a resolution can be achieved - Stage 2 complaints form

Our guide for students

We have created a Guide for Students on Heriot-Watt University's Complaints policy and procedures.

Read the University's Complaints Policy
Read the University's Complaints Procedures

Support to make a complaint

Using a representative

The University understands that you may feel unable or reluctant to make a complaint yourself. We will, therefore, accept your complaint via a representative, selected by yourself. You will need to provide a written confirmation that you have chosen this representative to act on your behalf with respect to the complaint.

Support from the Student Union

If you wish to seek assistance or guidance in raising a complaint, it may be useful to contact the Heriot-Watt University Student Union

Key information

Complaints HW