Shopping and retail
Supermarkets and food chain stores
The UK is served by four main supermarket chains:
In addition to food shopping the larger branches of these supermarkets will also stock limited ranges of clothing, household, small electrical and electronic items.
If you are living on the Edinburgh campus there is a branch of Asda at postcode EH14 1RJ and a branch of Sainsbury's at EH14 2ER. These are the largest supermarkets you can get to easily using public transport, and they are both on the Lothian Buses no. 34 bus route.
In addition to the above there are two smaller food chains which market themselves as discount stores:
There is a branch of Aldi at postcode EH11 2QL and a branch of Lidl at EH11 2EF – both stores are on the Lothian Buses no. 25 bus route.
International and specialty foods
As a popular city for people from all over the world to come to work, study and visit, Edinburgh has, over many years, attracted a wide selection of international food stores and suppliers.
The following is a selection of some of the local businesses that specialise in selling traditional ingredients and produce which has been sourced from outside the UK.
- The Polski Smak, 112a Gorgie Road, Edinburgh EH11 2NR
- Made in France, 5 Lochrin Place, Edinburgh EH3 9QX
- Falko: Konditormeister, 7 Bruntsfield Place, Edinburgh EH10 4HN
- Valvona and Crolla, 19 Elm Row, Edinburgh EH7 4AA
- De Africa, 163 Dalry Road, Edinburgh, EH11 2EB
Asia/Middle East food
- Bismaillah Food Store, 3 Nicholson Square, Edinburgh EH8 9BH
- Pat's Chung Ying Chinese Supermarket, 199-201 Leith Walk, Edinburgh EH6 8NX
- Hing Sing Chinese Supermarket, 310 Leith Walk, Edinburgh EH6 5BU
- Najaf Halal Meats, 58 Elm Row, Leith Walk, Edinburgh EH8 9BH
- Maqbools Supermarket, 36 Potterrow Edinburgh EH8 9BT
- Aihua Chinese Supermarket, 36 West Crosscauseway, Edinburgh EH8 9JP
- Hua Sing Chinese Supermarket, 48-50 Ratcliffe Terrace, Edinburgh EH9 1ST
- Matthews Foods, 36 Inglis Green Road, Edinburgh, EH14 2ER
- Rajah's Supermarket, 33 Albert Street, Edinburgh EH7 5LH
The highest concentration of international food retailers in Edinburgh are based in the Leith, Newington, Gorgie, Tollcross and Dalry districts.
In addition to shops, Edinburgh has a regular Farmers' Market which is held at Castle Terrace car park every Saturday, 9.00am - 2.00pm. As well as meats and foodstuffs reared and produced in Scotland, a selection of international and speciality foods can also be purchased.
Every Sunday you also will find a Farmers market in Stockbridge, 10.00am-5.00pm.
In the West of Edinburgh (Main Street), Balerno Community Council organises a local produce Farmers' Market on the second Saturday of the month.
The retailer Graham Tiso specialises in outdoor clothing. They also have a section in their store dedicated to winter sports clothing and equipment. Two 'warehouse' style outdoor clothing and equipment retailers also located in Edinburgh are also worth considering - Go Outdoors and Decathlon.