UK campus students

International Student Advice (Global Student Office)

The Visa Advice and Compliance team (VAC), part of the Global Student Office (GSO) advises and supports international students based at any of our UK campuses. If you have any concerns or queries, we will be happy to help you. We can provide a wide range of information and support, from immigration advice to welfare issues both before and after you arrive in the UK.

VAC has close links with all academic Schools within the University across all of its campuses, and with support services such as Recruitment and Admissions (International Recruitment Section), Student Wellbeing Services, and the University Chaplaincy.

How to contact us

The main way to contact our team, including our Global Student Advisor is through the Student Portal by raising an enquiry via AskMyHW. We are here to support you before and during your studies and can offer face to face and online appointments which can also be booked through your Student Portal by selecting the appointments tile in your Student Portal.

Our team

We have our Visa and Compliance Manager, Tim Burns, our Global student Advisor Peter Scott and two Global Student Assistants Rory Angus and Alexa Goszleth who can give you support and advice.  If you query is more complex, we will offer you a one-to-one appointment with our Global Student Adviser.

Where we are

We are based in the Student Service Centre (SSC) in the Hugh Nisbet Building on the Edinburgh Campus.

Opening hours

The Student Service Centre is open 10.00-16.00, Monday to Friday, however you do need to book an appointment via the Student Portal if you wish to discuss anything in person other than if you are coming to attend one of our weekly drop ins.

Drop in times are Monday to Thursday from 14.00-16.00, no booking required.

Appointments with our Global Student Advisor for more complex visa and immigration specific enquires can be booked through your Student Portal under the appointment tiles.  Mondays from 14.00-16.00, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10.00-12.00 (noon).

Contact the Visa, Advice and Compliance team

Our Visa, Advice and Immigration team are available to answer your enquires through the Student Portal. You can also view frequently asked questions (FAQs) for many topics related to international students studying at our Scottish campuses.

If you intend to study at Heriot-Watt University but are not yet a student, if you have an immigration or visa enquiry please email .