All students resident in the UK are entitled to medical treatment on the NHS, however it is important that you register with the local general practices as soon as possible. You can search for these by using the NHS Orkney website.


The majority of patients will have to pay for their dental care. Only patients in possession of an HC-2 certificate, or who are on income support or other benefits will be exempt from charges.

Some dentists operate privately and are not part of the NHS. As a result the cost of treatment is significantly higher. We would advise checking this with your dental practice before registering.

You can search for a dental practice by using the NHS Orkney website.


For a short absence, defined as up to four working days, you will normally need to fill in a self-certification form and submit it to your School Office. For longer absences, medical evidence may be required. For further information please refer to our website regarding sickness certificates.

Key information

Orkney Professional Services Team

+44 (0)1856 850 605