Cameron Smail Library
Access to the building is controlled according to physical distancing guidelines.
Occupancy is reduced, with 300 study spaces available.
To study in the library you must book your space in advance using the 'Book a study space' link on the Portal. The study spaces – seats and tables – are clearly marked to make it easier to find your seat.
ID cards are essential to gain access via the entrance gates.
Face coverings must be worn at all times. This includes when you are moving around the building and when you are sat at your study space.
Please note the Library is only open for current Heriot-Watt staff and students. We are unable to accept external visitors at this time.
Learning Commons 1, (Hugh Nisbet Building)
The Hugh Nisbet building is open from 6am to midnight.
Learning Commons 2, (Postgraduate Centre)
Open 8:00 am to 10:00pm Monday – Friday, closed at weekends
Book a room
Please note that due to the current Covid-19 situation, group study rooms are not currently bookable in the Library, Learning Commons 1 or Learning Commons 2.
Study spaces and study rooms in the library for individual study must be booked in advance through Resource Booker.
For guidance on how to book a space, see the guide on InformS.
Open access at all times Monday–Sunday.
Card access is required at all times for the computer labs upstairs
- Semester opening hours:
- Monday - Friday: 06:00 - 23:00
- Weekends: 08:00 - 18:00)
- Out of semester opening hours:
- Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 22:00,
- Weekends: Closed
- Catering facilities available
- Study in the relaxed atmosphere of the union
- Offering a mix of seating, bars and catering
- All areas have wifi
- Bookable committee rooms - see HW Union, room booking for more information.
- Located across campus within each School
- Study and social areas often with vending machines nearby
Central catering areas
- From cafés to food courts – take your choice.
- All catering areas have wifi
See Catering for more information.