Cameron Smail Library
Access to the building will be controlled according to physical distancing guidelines. ID cards will be needed to gain access via the entrance gates.
Occupancy will be limited as we are only be able to use 25% of the total study spaces which is a total of 250 spaces.
The study spaces – seats and tables – will be clearly marked to make it easier to find a seat.
Face coverings are required when accessing and moving around the building at all times. Once you are sat at your study space, then it is optional to wear a face covering.
Moving round the building will be the same as moving round the University – keep left when ever possible and physically distance from other students and staff.
Please note the Library is only open for current Heriot-Watt staff and students. We are unable to accept external visitors at this time.
Learning Commons 1, (Hugh Nisbet Building)
Opening hours: - 08:00 - 22:00, 7 days a week
Staffed services: There will be no staff at the desk on a regular basis.
Located on the ground floor of the Hugh Nisbet Building.
Please note that study spaces will be reduced to allow for social distancing.
The space provides: -
- State-of-the art digital learning and study facilities
- Collaboration and communication technologies, including screens which can be shared amongst users supporting a range of digital sources.
- Mixed study, with particular focus on collaborative learning facilities.
- A convenient accessible location.
The Learning Commons is located next to the Elements catering outlet.
Learning Commons 2, (Building 18)
This area is currently closed.
Please note that due to the current Covid-19 situation, rooms are not currently bookable in the Library, Learning Commons 1 or Learning Commons 2.
- Semester opening hours:
- Monday - Friday: 06:00 - 23:00
- Weekends: 08:00 - 18:00)
- Out of semester opening hours:
- Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 22:00,
- Weekends: Closed
- Catering facilities available
- Study in the relaxed atmosphere of the union
- Offering a mix of seating, bars and catering
- All areas have wifi
- Bookable committee rooms - see HW Union, room booking for more information.
- Located across campus within each School
- Study and social areas often with vending machines nearby
Central catering areas
- From cafés to food courts – take your choice.
- All catering areas have wifi
See Catering for more information.