National Women in Engineering Day 2016
The School of Engineering & Physical Sciences in conjunction with School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society celebrated National Women in Engineering Day 2016.
PhD students; Judith Abolle, Juliet Adelakun, Ifeyinwa Kanu and Research Associate Funmi Ola along with Administrative Assistant Helen Ovens organised a an exciting and informative morning of talks, networking opportunities and poster competition.
The event chaired by Professor Rory Duncan was interesting and thought provoking with have three excellent speakers.
- Judith Abolle gave a warm welcome address.
- Professor Mercedes Maroto-Valer shared some interesting statistics with us and talked of personal experiences.
- Dr Sila Pla Pueyo talked about importance of female role models for women in engineering and science and dedicated her presentation to one her female mentors.
A networking lunch and poster competition provided a unique opportunity for engineers to present their work, engage with fellow researchers and raise the profile of women in engineering at Heriot-Watt University.
The prizes awarded by Dr.Yuhang Chen were as follows;
- 1st Prize £150 to PhD Gerogia Anastasiadi
- 2nd Prize £100 to PhD Swati Swati
- 3rd Prize £50 to PhD Maria Lorente Crespo
The ‘Engineering’ poster session was sponsored by the Institute of Mechanical, Process and Energy Engineering and the School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society. The refreshments were sponsored by EPS Career Development Committee & EGIS Athena SWAN Committee.