Introduction and club history
Heriot-Watt Cycling Club (previously known as Mountain Biking Club) caters to a wide variety of disciplines and skill levels. The club is run through the Sports Union by a committee of five students who are all mad about cycling and everything that goes with it.
Since our recent merger with the road and track cycling club, we now offer organised riding to even more interests than in previous years.
Heriot-Watt Cycling Club is proudly supported by High5 Sports Nutrition.
We have several mountain bikes available to hire for £5 per day.
Our club charter
We aim to provide the following service to all our members:
- To provide students with the chance to develop their skills within the sport.
- To provide a full calendar of events to cater for the needs of the Sport members.
- To provide an opportunity for members to gain a worthwhile social experience through the Sport.
What does a typical season involve?
Weekly organised Mountain Bike rides on Wednesday afternoons to the world class locations we have nearby, with free transport provided by the university.
At least one weekend trip to further afield locations.
Our main event of the year is the student championships (BUCS), which is a weekend event comprising of at least a downhill race, often with a few fun extra races as well.
BUCS is the most relaxed and fun racing you will ever get to do on a bike, which makes it perfect for beginners and experienced riders alike. There is no pressure to do well and it's the best chance you will get to give racing a try and meet hundreds of like-minded students from around the country.
Road and track
- Weekly rides every Wednesday leaving Oriam at 1.15PM.
- Occasional weekend rides.
- Possible weekly rides up Arthur's seat (dependant on interest)
- Competition in select BUCS road and track events.
- In the past members have attended certain Scottish national road and circuit races.
- As you would expect, we also host regular social events!
For information on upcoming rides and socials visit Facebook.com/groups/WattCycling and join to get all the latest news.
How do I join the club?
To join the club head along to the reception at either the Oriam Reception or you can join online.
Membership for the Cycling Club is £10, but as with all clubs, it is necessary to join Oriam first, either in full or as a non-facility member as agreed in 2016.
If you would like to find out more information then contact us on the details available on this page.
Oriam now coordinates the University Bike Bothy service, where you can hire bikes or have your own serviced. There is a selection of road and mountain bike to hire at weekly, monthly and semesters costs at a heavily reduced rates. Opening times are Tuesdays and Thursday, 11am-4pm. For more information please contact email@example.com