Introduction and club history
From the inception of the Heriot-Watt University Basketball Club, we have strived to grow in size and importance within the Sports Union, year on year. This was reflected in 2016/17, when we were the 3rd biggest club in terms of membership, and were delighted to pick up our first ever awards at the Annual Sports Union Ball. We would love to invite you to join the club, and with your help, build our club to be even bigger and better.
While the club's main purpose is to participate and compete in basketball, it is also renowned for its social approach, providing the opportunity to meet new people and friends through not only the sport, but also the club's social activities which accommodate everyone.
The club endeavours to support any member through any coaching or officiating course. In 2016/17, the club contributed to one new UKCC Level 1 coach, 7 new Level 1 Referees, and 14 new Level 1 Table Officials and supported these members through their courses. The club also holds a close relationship with its local community partner, West Edinburgh Warriors, which helps to provide further coaching opportunities for our members.
Our club charter
We aim to provide the following service for our members:
- To provide an opportunity for any student to participate in a regular form of Basketball appropriate to their desire and ability.
- To provide a comprehensive training and competition programme to enable the competitive teams to perform in their respective leagues.
- To provide an opportunity for members to gain an unforgettable social experience through the sport.
What does a typical season involve?
It's a very exciting season to get involved in training and playing with the Basketball Club. This season sees our club hold the most training slots its ever had, while our competitive teams will play across 5 leagues; again, the most in the club's history. Meanwhile, members in the Men's or Women's Development Squads will participate in an increased number of friendly and development fixtures and competitions so all members are participating and enjoying the sport. We are incredibly fortunate to have Oriam, The National Sports Performance Centre of Scotland, as our outstanding home court and training facility, located on our campus
Men's 1st Team and National League Squad:
- Monday, 07:30 – 09:00, Sports Hall 1 - Court 3
- Monday, 17:30 – 19:00, Sports Hall 1 - Court 2
Men's Lothian League:
- Thursday, 17:30 - 19:00, Sports Hall 1 - Court 3
Men's National League:
- Friday, 07:30 – 09:30, Sports Hall 2
- Monday, 19:00– 20:45, Sports Hall 1 - Court 2
Men's 3rd & 4th:
- Tuesday, 17:30 - 19:00, Sports Hall 1 - Court 3
- Monday, 17:30 – 19:00, Sports Hall 1 - Court 3
- Friday, 16:30 - 18:00, Sports Hall 1 - Court 3
Where there is a Wednesday without any home fixtures, Sports Hall 1 can be used by any members recreationally between 16:00 – 17:30, subject to any booking changes.
With an Oriam membership, members are able to book Oriam courts to practice, scrimmage and improve in their own time. As a club, we would encourage as many members as possible to take advantage of this excellent opportunity.
Men's 1st and National League Team:
- BUCS Scottish 1A, Wednesday
- SBC National League Division 2, usually Sunday
Men's 2nd and Lothian League Team:
- BUCS Scottish 3A, Wednesday
- Lothian League, Friday
- BUCS Scottish 2A, Wednesday
How do I join the club?
After you pay for your Oriam membership at the Oriam reception or online, you are granted access to state of the art exercise facilities, including free hall bookings. To join the Basketball Club, either sign up at the reception or online. The cost of joining the club is £15 which gives you access to the general team training and social activities. If you wish to play competitively for the club, you will be invited to trial in September. An additional £15 is due for anyone selected for the squads and teams to subsidise for playing fees. Both are payable at reception.
Email the club on email@example.com to be added to the email list and find out any additional information, and be sure to like and follow us on our social media pages below.