Introduction and club history
"Athletics is part of educating the whole person. An individual is composed of three parts - mind, body and soul, and only when we instruct each part in such a way that one is not overestimated, but each receives proper emphasis, will we get the finest and truest graduates from our University"
So said Heriot-Watt alumni Eric Liddell, Olympian athlete and gold medal and bronze medal winner in the 400m and 200m respectively at the 1924 Paris Olympics for Britain.
At Heriot-Watt Athletics Club we offer everything from track and field to cross country and road running. We are also involved in hill running and have links with a local triathlon club. It is a friendly, fun-loving place to be. So whether you are wanting to compete at the elite level or to just stay active and have fun, then this is the club for you!
We do like to get the best out of our teammates and support all the races we take part in. If you come first or last we don't care, we will still be cheering you on! Taking part and having fun is the main goal. If you aren't up for the competitions, training round the beautiful grounds of the University is always fun and challenging.
We want anyone with a passion or curiosity for running, of any ability to join us at one or all of our sessions. So don't be shy, come and join us!
Our club charter
We aim to provide the following service to all our members:
- To deliver at least three weekly training sessions for all members, to include base, speed and strength workouts.
- To provide a range of competitive opportunities to allow members to compete either individually within or for the University.
- To provide an opportunity for members to gain a worthwhile social experience through the Sport.
What does a typical season involve?
We compete and socialise on a regular basis. It often helps to find the motivation to run, and to continue running, if you do it with others. We want you to run with us and have a great time doing it! The banter is good, and we have great social nights throughout the semesters at our club sponsors. We also have a partnership with the running store Run and Become for members to get top quality advice on running kit.
We also organise trips away. Usually in October/November we have a training weekend in Aviemore and we may also arrange a training trip overseas at the Easter break.
- Mondays 5.30-7.00pm - Sports Hall 2 - circuit training sessions for distance runners and track and field athletes led by an Oriam trainer combined with the rowing club.
- Tuesday 5:30pm - long run. All abilities welcome for both sprinters and distance runners led by committee members.
- Wednesdays 2.00-4.00pm - Saughton tack session. Training for sprinters and field events led by a coach. Speed training sessions for distance runners led by a committee member.
There are many races going on, in and around Edinburgh but the main races we take part in are:
Track and field
- Scottish university athletics freshers' match
- Scottish university indoor championships
- BUCS indoor championships
- Edinburgh Varsity match
- SSS outdoor championships
- BUCS outdoor championships
These races from the Scottish university winter running league:
- St Andrew's University Freshers' Cross Country Challenge
- Glasgow University 5 mile road race.
- Edinburgh University Braid Hills cross country races (Men c. 6 miles; Women c. 3 miles)
- Heriot-Watt Round the Grounds (5km)
Other races we take part in, include:
- SSS Road Relay Championships, Glasgow (Men 4 x 4.7 miles; Women 3 x 4.7 miles)
- SSS Cross Country Championships (Men c. 10km; Women c. 6km)
- BUCS Cross Country Championship
- BUCS Outdoor Athletics Championships
- SSS Hill Running Championships (Dumyathill race)
How do I join the club?
You first need to join Oriam, either at Oriam reception, or online at the Oriam membership page. We suggest you take out a silver membership as it covers both semesters.
You can then join the Athletics Club for a £15 fee.
This makes you a Sports Union athletics member, and you can then represent the University at competitions. The club joining fee also covers all venue hire costs, coaches and most race entries.
You can also join both Oriam and the club via our new online booking system.
If you have and questions feel free to email us at email@example.com.