Introduction and club history
Heriot-Watt American Football Club is one of the youngest clubs within the Sports Union, with a recent rise in participation in the sport among a number of Scottish and British Universities and a tightknit community across the UK. The club is now going into its third year of competing in BUCS league after a run at the playoffs in just their second season last year. The club also enjoys a healthy partnership with the Edinburgh Wolves American Football Club.
Our club charter
We aim to provide the following service for all our members:
- To provide an opportunity for any member to practice with the assistance of a coach at each session.
- To provide a range of competitive opportunities to allow members to compete either within or for the University.
- To provide an opportunity for members to gain a worthwhile social experience through the club.
What does a typical season involve?
Training throughout the season is twice a week on a regular basis, with a third session on Fridays as required. All sessions are held at Oriam at the below times/ facilities:
- Monday, 20.30-22.00, Outdoor Synthetic
- Wednesday, 20.30-22.00, Outdoor Synthetic
- Friday, 07.30-09.30, Indoor Synthetic
Coaching is currently provided as part of the partnership with Edinburgh Wolves.
The club competes in BUCS north league, which involves around 6-8 regular season matches per year, in addition to several potential post-season playoff matches.
How do I join the club?
To become a member of the club, the individual must take out membership to Oriam at a minimum of bronze level. Silver is recommended, as it covers both semesters. American Football can then be joined for a small fee of £65 for the year payable at the Oriam Reception or online.
No experience is required, training is provided by qualified and experienced coaches. Club provides shoulder pads and helmets for players.
For more information, come along to one of our training sessions; or email us at email@example.com