Introduction and club history
Heriot-Watt American Football Club is one of the youngest clubs within the Sports Union, with a recent rise in participation in the sport among a number of Scottish and British Universities and a tightknit community across the UK. The club is now going into its sixth year of competing in BUCS after a run at the play-offs in the 2018/19 season. The club also enjoys a healthy partnership with the Edinburgh Wolves American Football Club
Our club charter
We aim to provide the following service for all our members:
- To provide an opportunity for any member to practise with the assistance of a coach at each session.
- To provide a range of competitive opportunities to allow members to compete either within or for the University.
- To provide an opportunity for members to gain a worthwhile social experience through the club.
What does a typical season involve?
Training throughout the season is twice a week on a regular basis, with a third session on Fridays as required. All sessions are held at Oriam at the below times/facilities:
- Tuesday, 19.00-22.00, Outdoor Synthetic
- Wednesday, 13.30-14.30, Academy Synthetic
- Friday, 07.30-09.30, Indoor Synthetic
Coaching is currently provided as part of the partnership with Edinburgh Wolves.
The club competes in BUCS D2A Borders, which involves around 6 regular season matches a year, in addition to several potential post-season play-off matches, and presentation matches.
How do I join the club?
As with other University sports clubs, you must first take out membership to Oriam at a minimum of bronze level. Silver is recommended, as it covers both semesters. American Football can then be joined for a fee of £70 for the year payable at the Oriam Reception or online.
No experience is required, and training is provided by qualified and experienced coaches. the club provides shoulder pads and helmets for players.
For more information, come along to one of our training sessions; or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org