Maps and directions
Travelling to our Edinburgh Campus
Bus, shuttlebus and coach
- Lothian Buses offers local bus services 25, X25, 34, 35, 45, 63 and N25/N34 (night bus) to the Edinburgh Campus
- Service 25 is the most frequent, leaving the city centre every 10 minutes during the day, and every 15 minutes after 8.00pm
- The journey takes about 30–40 minutes from the city centre, depending on what time of day you’re travelling
- Fares from the city cost £1.70 single/£4.00 day ticket. Note that exact money is required for Lothian Buses (with the exception of Airlink) but you can pay for tickets using your mobile phone, if preferred
- Regular travellers to the campus should consider getting a Ridacard
- During term-time, a shuttle bus runs between our Edinburgh and Scottish Borders campuses - find out more about the shuttlebus service.
- There are several safe cycle routes for commuting to campus
- Route from city centre
- Route from Edinburgh Park
- Route along canal
You can plan your journey on the CycleStreets website
There are a number of bicycle racks across campus, look for the bicycle icons on the Campus map to locate the most convenient rack for you.
Car and taxi
The Edinburgh Campus is easy to access by car from the centre of Edinburgh and from all major routes leading to the city. The University is half a mile from the Calder Junction of the A720 City of Edinburgh by-pass and the A71, and you'll see signs for Heriot-Watt University on your approach.
- Students can park in car parks A, B, G, H or J
- Visitors to the University should use car park A, B, H or J
- Disabled visitors can use the accessible car park at Gait 10 next to the Centre for Sport & Exercise
You can find the location of the car parks on the map of Edinburgh Campus. Additional accessible parking spaces are available throughout the campus; you can contact us to reserve one.
- A number of taxi services, such as Central Taxis, are available at taxi ranks in the centre of Edinburgh, including Waverley and Haymarket rail stations and St Andrew Square bus station, as well as at Edinburgh airport.
- The journey to Heriot-Watt University takes about 20–30 minutes from the city centre, and about 10 minutes from Edinburgh airport
- A return journey to the city centre costs about £30.
- You can request an outbound taxi from the Edinburgh Campus at the main reception desk.
- List of all Edinburgh taxi ranks.
- Edinburgh International Airport is served by scheduled national and international flights.
- The airport is on the west side of the city, just three miles from the Edinburgh Campus
- The Airlink bus takes you to the city centre (£4.50 single, £7.50 return), then you can take a Lothian Buses service 25, X25, 34, 45 or N25 (night bus) from the city centre to the campus (terminating at Riccarton)
- The bus journey from the airport takes about an hour
- Alternatively, you can take an Edinburgh Trams service from the airport to Haymarket (£5.50 single, £8.50 return), then take a Lothian Buses service 25, X25 or N25 to the campus (terminating at Riccarton)
- The taxi journey from the airport to the campus takes about 10 minutes and costs about £25 return
Visit our pages on the AccessAble website for details of disabled access features at our Edinburgh Campus. The guides describe your journey into and throughout the campus buildings - accommodation, library, catering, teaching spaces etc - and includes photographs of the features covered.